A clicking from down below!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stevevw

Guru
Hi all.
I have a very annoying clicking noise coming from around the bottom bracket area, it happens on every stroke at approx the same position in any gear or chain ring but only when I put pressure on the pedal I can not reproduce the sound with the bike on a work stand or if I pull up on the pedals ;)

I have changed the BB and now new pedals. I had a good look for any cracks in the frame and found nothing?

Any ideas?

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Does it go away if you heave on the pedals (click- click) and then get out of the saddle (still clicking or no?)

Chainring bolts all tight?

Remove cranks, clean interfaces, and replace: sometimes works.

I've got a similar one at the moment, haven't quite tracked it down yet..

zacklaws

Guru
As you say it only happens when you put pressure on the pedals, and after having changed or renewed items, could it be possible its coming from your handlebars. It can sometimes be very confusing where a sound is coming from, and when you put pressure on the pedals, you must also have a similar pulling force on your bars and they are renowned for clicking at times.

OP
OP
stevevw

stevevw

Guru
palinurus said:
Does it go away if you heave on the pedals (click- click) and then get out of the saddle (still clicking or no?)

Chainring bolts all tight?

Remove cranks, clean interfaces, and replace: sometimes works.

I've got a similar one at the moment, haven't quite tracked it down yet..

If I pull on the pedals it stops but that could be because I am not putting so much pressure on the down stroke.
Chain ring bolts are tight.
Have changed the bottom bracket and cleaned/greased all parts in that area. Even just tried drenching the area in GT85, still clicks but smells nice :biggrin:

OP
OP
stevevw

stevevw

Guru
ColinJ said:
It's often hard to tell where noises are really coming from. I had a clicking noise like that and it turned out that the lock-ring on the cassette wasn't quite tight enough.

I have tightened the lock ring which took approx 1/32 of a turn now very tight. hope it comes off again :biggrin:

zacklaws said:
As you say it only happens when you put pressure on the pedals, and after having changed or renewed items, could it be possible its coming from your handlebars. It can sometimes be very confusing where a sound is coming from, and when you put pressure on the pedals, you must also have a similar pulling force on your bars and they are renowned for clicking at times.

When I got home tonight I stripped the forks out cleaned and lubed bearings and used carbon assembly compound on the spacers and stem. I have a carbon steerer and an alloy stem with carbon spacers.

Guess what, it is still clicking.

PS just removed seatpost cleaned and refitted put some lube on the seat rails too all to no avail. It is starting to annoy me now.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Bad, isn't it - I hate noises like that! :biggrin:

I once did an hour long climb in Spain with a rider whose bike was squeaking with every pedal stroke. It was driving me bonkers but I wasn't fit enough to get away from him, and I was already going slowly so I didn't want to slow down more.

Okay, how about cleat bolts that need tightening?

OP
OP
stevevw

stevevw

Guru
ColinJ said:
Bad, isn't it - I hate noises like that! :wacko:

I once did an hour long climb in Spain with a rider whose bike was squeaking with every pedal stroke. It was driving me bonkers but I wasn't fit enough to get away from him, and I was already going slowly so I didn't want to slow down more.

Okay, how about cleat bolts that need tightening?

Nope does it when using normal shoes too.

potsy said:
Are you sure it's the bike and not you that's creaking?:biggrin:

Could have been that but to be certain I got a chap at work to try it. :smile:

zacklaws

Guru
Its not the loose end of the cable to the front deraileur catching the crank, my partners MTB had a click and it drove me mad looking for it as I followed behind, before I finally noticed what it was.

It is infuriating noises on the bike, last week I was adamant that my front brake was catching my rim, but no matter what I did to readjust the brake and the wheel during a couple of rides, I could not get rid of the noise, eventually I discovered it was the brake on the back wheel.

Have a search around this website that a member of the community once posted in the forums:-

http://www.jimlangley.net/wrench/keepitquiet.html

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I had a rattling once, occasional tink-tink sort of sound. At one point I even got it into my head that it sounded like a wheel bearing on the way out so I serviced the hubs.

It was a bottle cage bolt.

Bandini

I had similar thing not long ago - as posted. It just stopped after a while. Most strange. I am probably cycling around with a crucial (but not that crucial) bit of me bike missing.

Top Bottom