A close call....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
A few months ago I filled in the online form for South Cambs District Council as the cycle path on Madingley Hill is becoming narrower and narrower due to grass and weeds encroaching on the tarmac and the hedge poking into the path of bikes and peds. I received a reply saying they'd dismissed the case.
The area is unlit and in the dark like tonight visibility is impeded by car lights coming down the hill.

Tonight on the way home from work I was going up the hill, and someone was coming down on a bike, not overly fast, but I had to move over quite sharpish. As the bloke came by the overhanging brambles wrapped around my left handle bar and pulled it out of my hand. My bike headed right sharpish (probably my reaction to it going left)
At this point I should have hit the deck, but self preservation kept me upright. The next thing I know is I'm cycling on the road at 90° to the kerb.

A quick glance over my right shoulder and I saw a car about 30' behind. I was back on the pavement in a shot, then cycled up the hill thinking 'wtf happened there?'. I was so bloody fortunate that the car wasn't any closer, or that there wasn't something else a bit bigger around.

Today's wind may have played a part,blowing the long, trailing brambles but I'm not sure. I have contacted the council by phone and logged it, and sent an email to the Highways Dept telling them that I want a site meeting ASAP.
When you hear of the disasters and accidents that go on you sometimes wonder 'how the hell did that happen!? That's impossible!'. I nearly got done by one!

IMG_5267.JPG

^^^ luckily, that's all the injury I sustained!

Shaun

Founder
Very lucky you managed to stay upright and that's the only damage done. Let's hope too the council take your report seriously and come and inspect - and do something if it's needed.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Glad you survived. I must chase Norfolk up about a few of their failed weed cuts before the same happens to me.

Cycling infrastructure is useless if they won't even cut the weeds back. It's not like it costs more because they cut weeds back off roads anyway. They just need to cut them far enough back.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Nasty Dave ,you must have seen your life flash before you!!

All the paths cycle ways that need regular cutting back are being left in the Peterborough area it seems.
The path that runs around our site has got very overgrown with 30mm thick trailing brambles
And hanging branches.
Real hazard with walkers bikes etc,at night it will be even worse.
I know its expensive to cut back but its getting silly now

classic33

Leg End Member
You still have your copy of the form completed/confirmation it was received, and their reply?

They've a legal obligation to keep it clear, what ever they may say to your face/you.

Use the report submitted/their response as proof they were informed about the problem. Some have higher than possible loss rates of such reports made to them.

xzenonuk

Veteran
looks nasty, glad your ok apart from that.

OP
OP
Dave 123

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Nasty Dave ,you must have seen your life flash before you!!

All the paths cycle ways that need regular cutting back are being left in the Peterborough area it seems.
The path that runs around our site has got very overgrown with 30mm thick trailing brambles
And hanging branches.
Real hazard with walkers bikes etc,at night it will be even worse.
I know its expensive to cut back but its getting silly now

It happened far too quick for that, I couldn't fit all those years in!

OP
OP
Dave 123

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Well...... I cycled up Madingley Hill this evening. The bramble straggles have indeed been cut, and then left on the cycle path!
A bit further up there has been one single scrape of a shovel about 12" in length to determine where the edge of the path might be.

I didn't expect such rapid response of high quality!

Top Bottom