A close pass followed by an apology

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi.
Tonight i foolishly thought the weather was going to stay dry and got the bike out. About five miles in the heavens opened and it was coming down in stair rods. Not ideal conditions for cycling in the dark along the roads but as they say "in for a penny in for a pound"
Everything was fine "apart from the rain" when a car close passed me. After the usual cursing which only i heard i carried on. As the car went off in the distance i noticed it turning off into a drive way.
Feeling a bit annoyed i stopped to have a word. This huge guy got out of the passenger side and looked like someone you wouldn't mess around with. Before i got to say anything he and his wife oppolgised and said they where half expecting me to stop and say something.
After a chat we were all on good terms and on my way i went.
I think when we make mistakes, whether we are driving or cycling its always a good thing for the one at fault to make an apology. It really takes the heat out of the situation.
Only last week i made a monumental cock up whilst cycling. If it wasn't for the quick reactions of the driver of the car, I'm sure i would of been bounced down the road on my back side. I thanked the driver for her good driving and apologised which i think defused my embarrassing moment.
Its a shame though that not all road users would behave like this.
Some just fly off the handle when there confronted, and it ends up getting nasty.
Ah well tomorrow's another day and hopefully my cycling will be a little less eventful 🤞😁

Last edited:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
It happens. And if the driver apologises they'll hopefully learn - and the next time they'll give more space.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
To err is human, to forgive is divine. A sincere apology goes a long way. I had an angry Discovery driver raging away up the rear of my car one day after an error in perception. When the traffic queued I got out & apologised for not realising he had been waiting for a gap rather than just being parked up. Completely disarmed the rage.

Top Bottom