A Confusing Cycle Lane?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

heavens

kXOhV4v

http://imgur.com/kXOhV4v

I'm not sure what these are called or how common they are? I've never seen another one in person in this area or anywhere else, even on the internet! Basically, that path on the left might be a cycle path, but I doubt it seeing how narrow it is.

I'm a bit puzzled as to why they put this little cycle lane here? When going from any road to cycle path I slow down, shoulder check on the bike path for any fellow cyclists or pedestrians and then being all good I'll get on it via the brick paving slabs.

This just puzzled me on a route out, thought it might make an interesting post?

Seems fairly simple to me...

There is a dropped kerb, you turn off the road on the drop kerb, then follow the clearly marked cycle path.....

At the same time there is a second cycle path going around the junction, joined by the dropped kerb with tactile paving.

At the point where they join, you are asked to cede priority to the traffic already on this path as you join

NOT a brilliant design, but not that complex

OP
OP
heavens

heavens

Seems fairly simple to me...

There is a dropped kerb, you turn off the road on the drop kerb, then follow the clearly marked cycle path.....

At the same time there is a second cycle path going around the junction, joined by the dropped kerb with tactile paving.

At the point where they join, you are asked to cede priority to the traffic already on this path as you join

NOT a brilliant design, but not that complex

I personally feel that they could of used their money more wisely - I just find it a little odd about the point of it when you have to cede priority anyway.

winjim

Smash the cistern
You can pop up onto the path a bit ahead of the junction, so you're not getting in the way of everybody concentrating on getting onto the roundabout.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Presumably it allows you to avoid cycling around the roundabout if you want to and go to the right? Might be easier to see a google image of the layout.

The point of it would be for someone who wanted to avoid the road route, and showing priority can help to understand who you should give way to even if you don't agree with it.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I'd just ignore it normally but as I'm still on the trike it would help avoid going to the 3rd exit on a roundabout :eek:which ain't much fun even with the electric motor fitted.

snorri

Legendary Member
Maybe it is a decceleration lane for cyclists turning left. The sign post and lighting column are dangerously close to the path edge.

Last edited:

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
It was clearly designed by a road engineer with a 10 metre attention span.

Onyer

It was clearly designed by a road engineer with a 10 metre attention span.
We have something similar near us. A cycle lane to take you round a roundabout, which starts about 5 metres before the roundabout!! You then have to come back onto the road about 5 metres after the roundabout!! In the local paper someone complained that cyclists were ignoring it and slowing them down. Stupid. One local councillor tried to gain credit for creating a cycle lane between the two villages - but it is only about 20 metres long.

Top Bottom