A cookery question for all would be cooks & chefs etc.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
No cheating
No confering
No googling.
The question is.......what is/are the difference/s between roasting and baking. As an example a roast chicken meal vs a baked chicken meal.
Thats just an example but generally, what decides if its a roast dinner or a baked dinner.
It puzzled me so I did google it but want to know what you think.
No prizes.....just interested.

CharlesF

Guru
To me, roasting is putting the meat or veg on a tray and plonking it in the oven, minimal preparation and cooked until ready.

Now baking demands some skills of mixing different ingredients and then it’s plonked in the oven, but for a specific time.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
To me, roasting is putting the meat or veg on a tray and plonking it in the oven, minimal preparation and cooked until ready.

Now baking demands some skills of mixing different ingredients and then it’s plonked in the oven, but for a specific time.
Not bad (in parts) for a first attempt ^_^

I

The difference is in the temperature used. Below 400 degrees Fahrenheit ( or there abouts ) it’s baked, over 400 Fahrenheit degrees it’s roasted.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
That’s what you get without Mr Google
Yes..... i saw a recipe for baked chicken, read it and thought hang on, thats how we do roast chicken, so I googled it (but you get a ban if you cheat ^_^).
I will give Mr Googles answer later on.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
The difference is in the temperature used. Below 400 degrees Fahrenheit ( or there abouts ) it’s baked, over 400 Fahrenheit degrees it’s roasted.
Not according to Mr Google (or the parts I read).
TBH my son has been a chef for many years and he didnt get it fully correct.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
To me it is about the caramelisation of the outside. When you roast you 'burn' bits to give a nice texture flavour and look, when you bake you don't. The temperature will of course dictate this, but for me it is the effect of the temperature rather than the temperature itself that dictates roast or bake.

However, now I think about it I am most certainly wrong, as a baked potato has a caramelised skin, so perhaps it should be a roast potato, but we already have those.

Top Bottom