A 'Cool' Cycling Non-Cyling Jacket

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Not sure if this should go in Cafe or Kit but hoped it would reach a wider audience here. So I've been given a tough task, selecting a suitable jacket for my middle son. This is for all round use, he cycles to and from school, but also for general casual wear.

The first attempt(not by me) saw this arrive in the post:-

http://www.hollisterco.com/webapp/w...ntCategoryId=&topCategoryId=&productId=957569

It actually looks worse on than it does on the screen, the hood is enormous, doesn't detach or roll up and would act like an air brake on the bike. I've had a chat with him, starting on hoods and whether he'd ever actually use the hood. So now we're at, if it has a hood must be detachable or stowable. He understands that a dropped back will provide more comfort and still allow him to have the waist level front effect he likes. He definitely doesn't like puffer jackets, which is a good thing for me. This doesn't have to be fully waterproof or a racing cut, in fact that's to be avoided. The focus is something that will work as a casual jacket, still work on a bike and give him enough protection from the elements on the 2.5miles to or from school.

My little(well not so little now) mooched online for a bit and told me he likes this:-

http://www.rapha.cc/mac-softshell

which is not happening but at least it gives me a style I know he'd wear. But where to get something like that without the comical pricetag?

mark st1

Plastic Manc
How old is the recipiant matey ?? i know from experience anything Hollister or Superdry is peng or safe at the minute which apparantly means its in fashion ?? my step-daughter who is just turned 17 "has her finger on the fashion pulse" at all times apparantly so id say out of those 2 the Hollister is probably a good choice. id also say that 2nd jacket is worth more than my car :eek:

Good luck to ya :smile:

RedRider

Pulling through
Ok, it has a hood but it's neat and really isn't a problem, you can use the draw string to tidy it up. I have one, (which I hope doesn't totally exclude it being cool) it's great quality and looks good, drawing compliments on or off the bike despite it's cycling features like a slightly dropped rear, capacious hidden back pocket and zipped armpit vents. Not too warm for 2.5 miles yet nice and warm when off the bike. Rode it through last autumn/winter and chillier spring days and I didn't get wet at all. Keeps the wind out. Looks brand new still. I recommend it.

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

How old is the recipiant matey ?? i know from experience anything Hollister or Superdry is peng or safe at the minute which apparantly means its in fashion ?? my step-daughter who is just turned 17 "has her finger on the fashion pulse" at all times apparantly so id say out of those 2 the Hollister is probably a good choice. id also say that 2nd jacket is worth more than my car :eek:

Good luck to ya :smile:

He's 14 so the second jacket is not an option, he's not so keen on the Superdry and, trust me, that Hollister is just no good.

I'm kind of thinking up to about £120 here but would prefer the £60-90 range. Swrve do a nice one but that's well over the £200 mark.

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

Ok, it has a hood but it's neat and really isn't a problem, you can use the draw string to tidy it up. I have one, (which I hope doesn't totally exclude it being cool) it's great quality and looks good, drawing compliments on or off the bike despite it's cycling features like a slightly dropped rear, capacious hidden back pocket and zipped armpit vents. Not too warm for 2.5 miles yet nice and warm when off the bike. Rode it through last autumn/winter and chillier spring days and I didn't get wet at all. Keeps the wind out. Looks brand new still. I recommend it.

Ah, now that's in the price range but I hope it looks a bit better in real life than the way they've got it modelled :biggrin:

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

Well the Swrve Milwaukee Hoodie is meeting with approval and seems to get decent reviews online as well, including the hell pit that is LFGSS.

Any idea re sizing, is it true to claims or do they come up big/small? for reference I'm choosing between L and XL here, he's just shy of 6 foot. His elder brother overtook my 6'1" by 15 and he's heading the same way.

RedRider

Pulling through
Well the Swrve Milwaukee Hoodie is meeting with approval and seems to get decent reviews online as well, including the hell pit that is LFGSS.

Any idea re sizing, is it true to claims or do they come up big/small? for reference I'm choosing between L and XL here, he's just shy of 6 foot. His elder brother overtook my 6'1" by 15 and he's heading the same way.
I'm 6'3", 42 chest, arms in proportion and 13 stone. The large is a nice fitted fit, but with room for wooly jumper underneath when it's icy. Sleeves and body length good.

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

Hmmm, that's definitely L or XL then, he's more a rugby build than a cyclist build.

So do I get an XL, reluctantly 'accept' that he needs a L, order the L next and stash the XL in the wardrobe. To add to my collection of lovely cycling clothes I'll one day wear when I've lost weight?

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Cool you say, jacket you say?

fonzie_jpg_w300h378.jpg

Top Bottom