"a detested kite"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bianchi1

Guru
A couple around the malvern hills. I'm not that bothered if it's not a rare sight anymore, they are still hugely impressive and always lifts my spirits during a ride when I spot one.

Better than those scruffy buzzards anyway!

gbb

Legendary Member
See loads at fineshade and wakerley woods . Cambs northants border area
know what you mean GG, none about as a kid and now its Kite heaven. I Love prey birds.
just had the Goshawk on country file..

see Kites over the house sometimes ..
I think Wakerly was one of the places where they were introduced some years ago (is that toward Corby way?)
20 years ago they were a rare sight...as ive cycled that way regularly over the last 15 years, each year they've come closer and closer to Peterborough itself. I live near Orton Southgate, bordering the A1 and now we regularly see Kite over urban areas, they're not bothered by roads, people etc. Even seen them over the city centre.
Maybe 4 years ago, on a ride that covered Peterboro, Elton, Wansford, Kings Cliffe, Blatherwyke, Oundle and back to P'boro, I counted 20 plus Red Kite (25 I think, but its possible a few of them could have been double sightings)

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
There are a couple who regularly visit our close, and I always see one when I'm out on the bike. Once upon a time I used Redkite as a forum name.

I've seen them from the train between Bicester and Banbury, and also in Cambridgeshire. I gather that they used to be common in cities, scavenging rubbish.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
After their successful reintroduction at Harewood House they have expanded their territory and are regularly seen here in Meanwood and have been spotted in Roundhay scavenging from takeaway cast offs. I saw several last month when cycling between Wetherby and Boroughbridge. They are too common now to get excited about a sighting.

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
There are a couple who regularly visit our close, and I always see one when I'm out on the bike. Once upon a time I used Redkite as a forum name.

I've seen them from the train between Bicester and Banbury, and also in Cambridgeshire. I gather that they used to be common in cities, scavenging rubbish.
Juvenile birds often seen exploring central these days according to the RSBP and so it is only a matter of time until a pair find a suitable nesting site and these birds, once native in London, make a comeback there.

Custom24

Über Member
All the time over my house, near Didcot

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Had one 20' above my head this time last year as I was painting the shed in Hardwick, Cambs.
Several sightings from Cambridge City centre.
Most recently in Mallorca last week.
I remember the days when they were mega rare, now they breed like..., well, kites!

Edit- between Christmas and NY travelling along the M4 from London west bound must have seen 20 by the time I reached Swindon area.

Top Bottom