"a detested kite"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Masters of the air waves, buzzards get harassed by the Corvus family, Red Kites toy with them. Where we live is fantastic for birds of prey, regularly see Red Kites [20 + in one tree], Buzzards, Kestrels, Sparrowhawks, Peregrines and once only a Goshawk, Harris Hawk and I believe an Eagle Owl. Last but not least the Rutland Ospreys. I think I enjoy the Red Kites as much as anything especially when the sun lights up their underwings.

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
The Derwent Valley, west of Gateshead heading up towards Consett. There was a successful reintroduction programme there a few years ago. Some people living nearby get them visiting their gardens.
Thank you. I'll be 'gannin hyem mesell' later in the year and will keep an eye out when visiting old haunts

The Jogger

Legendary Member
When I used to live in a village next to Glorious Goodwood I use to see them a lot. In fact one day driving down the hill from the race course , I stopped above two that were circling above a small valley, it was an incredible sight.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Have seen the odd one around North Devon occasionally, but I must admit they are a bit of a rarity around here;which is a bit odd. as I would have thought the area would be a perfect breeding ground for them. Maybe see one or two a year. Last one I saw was over the back of Braunton around last summer. I reckon we get the odd one coming across the Bristol Channel by mistake!

Doseone

Guru
It wasn't that long ago that people used to earn a living in Mid Wales from Kite tourism..."come and stay in our remote cottage and you might catch a glimpse of a red kite..." etc. Nowadays, we've got a job not to trip over them on the High Street! I never tire of watching them though, I think they are lovely birds.

In terms of seeing them elsewhere, I've seen one over the Brocas fields between Eton and Windsor.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Not usual to see them round here (Worcestershire) but over the years (~10) I've spotted 3 or 4 including 1 last year

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
It wasn't that long ago that people used to earn a living in Mid Wales from Kite tourism...
and then came foot'n'mouth...

some signs of a bounce back in/around Rhayader but a lot of the other towns in the Wye Valley, and environs, still look dead on their feet and the half-term week was very quiet.

Doseone

Guru
and then came foot'n'mouth...

some signs of a bounce back in/around Rhayader but a lot of the other towns in the Wye Valley, and environs, still look dead on their feet and the half-term week was very quiet.

Foot and Mouth...shudder, awful times, I hope that never ever happens again.

As you can see, I'm in Brecon and we get quite a few tourists, however most tourists either seem to come to the Beacons, or they go to Snowdonia. What they miss is the fantastic area in the middle which has some of the best and most unspoilt scenery you could hope for.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I have seen Red Kites over Barnet and out near to Hertford when riding over that way. Where I work at Ruislip, you can often see them over the depot and the local fields.

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Foot and Mouth...shudder, awful times, I hope that never ever happens again.

As you can see, I'm in Brecon and we get quite a few tourists, however most tourists either seem to come to the Beacons, or they go to Snowdonia. What they miss is the fantastic area in the middle which has some of the best and most unspoilt scenery you could hope for.
It was terrible for that part of Wales. A complete disaster. Several long-standing business and farm(er)s went under.

We had a long talk with rellies there (Llanidloes) about tourism last week. They are locals and want to set up a tourism business but feel it is a bit chicken and egg. Very little in the way of honeypots or major draws in Mid Wales and thus very little in the way of a hospitality industry to support tourism but with little hospitality industry no one wants to go there. The Llani bypass just speeds people past the town, which is delightful and has some fantastic pubs and cafes, and on to Newtown or Aber or Rhayader. I hear there are some advocates for a Plynlymon National Park to compete with Snowdonia and the Brecon Beacons but these seem to be mainly in-comers. The natives generally seem content to keep the riches of the area to themselves. Rhayader/Elan Valley, Nant-yr-Arian and Machynlleth have the draw for mtb-ers, and I've had great times in and around them. On road though, well, for me NCN 8 Lon Las Cymru in mid-Wales feels like it was drawn up by someone who hates touring cyclists with a vengeance, and even sustrans big up the "toughest challenge" aspect of the route. The stretch from Rhayader to Llani feels like a punishment beating that deliberately and needlessly seeks out the tougher route and the main road, despite the log/stock lorries, always feels to me like the better bet. That said though NCN 8 Llani to Mac is probably my favourite road ride in E&W. You know you've been out for a ride if you do Llani-Mac-Llani for a day ride.

Tricky though. The great attraction to me is its sheer emptiness....

Doseone

Guru
Ha ha yes, I did part of a charity ride with some friends from Rhayader back to Brecon, I think that was on Lon Las and almost everyone was on road bikes and got a shock when we had to go through a forest!

Top Bottom