A do it all build

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shropshire65LW

I’m going to try and have a go at a built .
most of my rides are I would have thought under 50 miles

im thinking the build will start with a Trek FX or DS .
but I’m up for suggestions . I’ve not got deep pockets

the gearing .....is one I need to do research on
certainty a 9 speed as I already have shifters

any recommendations on gearing great fully received

i also have a front derailleur , tho it’s not set in stone it’s a cheap bit
so .....front do I go
single
twin
triple

ChrisEyles

Guru
3x9 gearing gets my vote every time.

Personally I like 42/34/24 chain rings. The gap between rings is much nicer than the larger gap on a compact double, and it gives you super low gearing without using a ridiculously large rear sprocket. An 11-30 cassette will give you a good granny gear for steep off road trails.

Some will say 42/11 isn't high enough as a top gear. While it's probable that you'll occasionally spin out in this gear, it'll only happen at >30mph, at which point I'm happy to be freewheeling. It's not much lower than the 52/14 top gear the pros used to race on a few decades ago.

OP
OP
Shropshire65LW

Shropshire65LW

3x9 gearing gets my vote every time.

Personally I like 42/34/24 chain rings. The gap between rings is much nicer than the larger gap on a compact double, and it gives you super low gearing without using a ridiculously large rear sprocket. An 11-30 cassette will give you a good granny gear for steep off road trails.

Some will say 42/11 isn't high enough as a top gear. While it's probable that you'll occasionally spin out in this gear, it'll only happen at >30mph, at which point I'm happy to be freewheeling. It's not much lower than the 52/14 top gear the pros used to race on a few decades ago.
Thank you for that . Gives me some idea where I’m going

ChrisEyles

Guru
No problem!

It's really a personal preference thing though, some people I know love a compact double (road or MTB), and some swear by 1x set-ups.

I run 3x8 on all my bikes because the parts are so cheap and wheels are interchangeable between all my bikes (except my 1960s racer, which is 2x5). 1x12 would give about the same range of gears with a wide range cassette and be marginally simpler but would cost about 10x as much.

Part of the fun in building and tweaking your own bikes is working out exactly what works best for you and making your bike truly "yours".

Enjoy the build - pop some piccies up on here as you go :smile:

OP
OP
Shropshire65LW

Shropshire65LW

Funny how things just happen . Well dropped on a specialized cross trail , needing some TLC . And a morning in the garage already looks a different bike

bike cleaned up better than I expected , been stuck in a shed for a few years and someone had spilt paint all over it ....well now all gone

cassette needs replacing
new chain ....already have one sitting on a shelf
maybe crank ...not urgent
thought the forks were no good but cleaned up nice and ok
new tyres to go on
replaced seat ,lucky I had one that fits the bill

I may upgrade the derailleur front and rear . I may change the gearing as you recommended also

so project is looking good .....rides nice already so was a nice cheap find

Last edited:
OP
OP
Shropshire65LW

Shropshire65LW

Purchased a Deore LX rear derailleur today and a new XT cassette , I’ve some Deore XT shifters hanging on my wall .
tho I’m wondering now if to leave all the rusty stuff on , just look it for a 8 mile ish ride and rides really nice ,changes gear spot on .
surprising what some tlc and some grease and oil can do

the cheapest bike I’ve bought and the nicest to ride 🤔 go fig. !
tomorrow fitting new tyres

and debating I have a nice exage 500 LX on my bench wondering should I fit that as well
its probably 90s ( road bike ) but I think it will look nice with the Deore LX alloy finish

Top Bottom