A easy fix to a puncture

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

paul04

Über Member
Yesterday I went out for a bike ride, came back and was cleaning the bike and spotted a drawing pin stuck in the tyre.
With luck, it stayed in place so I knew exactly where the hole was, so a nice easy fix.

Have you had anything odd in the tyre to cause a puncture

smallpn.jpg

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Once rode over a 2" nail. The front wheel flicked it into position so that the head was in contact with the ground but the point was at an angle so as to to enter the rear tyre from the left, puncture the tube in two places and emerge from the right sidewall. No pictures, unfortunately.
If there were, they would probably have had a visible blue haze.

The night after my last MSc exam we went for drinks (it was during the big freeze) and I went back after to the uni for my bike, lifted the bike up the steps and wheeled it across the courtyard. One of my fellow students had left a drawing pin specially for me. it was only a change of tube job and I had wrapped up well but changing it at -x deg wasn't fun :sad:

D

Deleted member 1258

A thorn I picked up that only caused a very slow puncture, I left it in for ages and only sorted it out when it got to pumping the tyre up about once a week. Another one was a tiny piece of orange indicator glass, on overtime I came out in the dark to a flat and fixed it by the light in the compressor house but I couldn't find the cause, tyre a bit soggy the next day so I put in some air and pedalled to work , by dinner time it was flat, I repaired it during dinner but it took about twenty minutes to find the glass.

chriss2.0

usually smashed beer bottles (inconsiderate ppl!)
, and one time a 3 inch screw. i think the oddest thing was a paperclip through an armored tire

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Once rode over a 2" nail. The front wheel flicked it into position so that the head was in contact with the ground but the point was at an angle so as to to enter the rear tyre from the left, puncture the tube in two places and emerge from the right sidewall. No pictures, unfortunately.
If there were, they would probably have had a visible blue haze.
I had the same thing happen on my MTB, only in my case the nail was more like 4" long! It went through both sides of the tyre just above the wheel rim and looked as though somebody had knocked it in with a hammer. (They hadn't - the ends of the nail caught the frame stays so I noticed as soon as it happened.)

I got an unusual slow puncture in Spain once. It took me ages to find it out at the roadside without the benefit of a bowl of water. After about 20 minutes of looking, I eventually discovered a short single strand of small gauge steel wire had somehow stood on end and penetrated the tyre at right angles, with only about 1mm going into the tube inside.

steve52

I'm back! Yippeee
to check the tyre i run a wad of tissue around the inside as it will snag on what is pokeing through,but do run it bothe ways as things are often at an angle, so it will slip over one way and snag the other

Mile195

Veteran
There's a motorcycle tyre shop near me that has a "board of shame". Sadly the website seems to have gone which had the pictures on as well, but there was a stunning photo of a rear tyre, virtually brand new, with a piece of roof tile 5 inches long by 2 inches wide gone straight through with half the piece sticking through each side of the tyre. It had created a rip in the rubber about 7 inches long. God only knows how he kept the thing upright, or indeed how this piece of tile ended up at such an angle that it was able to go through the tyre.

Top Bottom