A***face Bus Driver in Essex

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LosingFocus

Lost it, got it again.
Just got back from a lunch time jaunt. Very nice, broke my average speed and had a lovely ride - although it was marred at the end by an a***hole bus driver who squeezed me at a pinch point.

This road here, I was doing about 31mph according to my GPS app.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Br...d=9HVjOscpfH6PZxcD57m0sA&cbp=12,142.3,,0,6.73

I was heading down the hill towards the 2 pinch points. I've ridden this a lot, and I know cars try to get by, so I try to take as strong a primary as I can. Today, there was a lot of hay or straw on the road from the nearby farm, so I had to move to the left between the pinch points to avoid some. This gave the bus driver the chance to have me, so he took it. As we both went into the last pinch point at the same time, he was only 6-8 inches from my front wheel as he moved left. I was furious! So much so that I totally missed his reg, the company or his route. And no camera.

Luckily, as I pulled into my drive about 2k away, I saw him drop off some people in my village (defo same bus - same advert on the back, same type, only way he could have gone and no other buses went by). One of the drop offs was a neighbour of mine.

Is it worth popping round and asking her the name of the bus co. and the route? It is worth reporting this?

Gr33ny76

Regular
If she has the bus ticket, everything you need to know will be on that. Good luck.

screenman

Legendary Member
My experience as well, the odd one will slip through though. Much like all cyclist jump red lights and ride on the pavement.

Pedal pusher

Veteran
And we complain that everyone generalises and hates us as a group of road users.
I work in one of Scotland's biggest city's and with that comes one of the biggest bus services. I watch cyclist every day having to do battle with bus drivers who do not care about cyclist. This is not a generalisation it's fact. One of the guys at work is an x bus drivers and when he was in training he was told by his instructor not to wory about cyclist because if the worst comes to the worst they can always jump off the bike!

wheres_my_beard

Über Member
Do it! If it's one road user I dispise it's bus drivers.

And we complain that everyone generalises and hates us as a group of road users.

[unhelpful remark]
I don't think that's a generalisation, it's a prejudice, isn't it?
[/unhelpful remark]

Either way, we're all human, and fallible, and mis-judge things. I know I do. It happens. We like to expect more from professional driver, but sh*t happens and we all hopefully live to cycle another day.

Personally I would have banged on the bus if he was that close; let him know you're there. He'll have forgotten all about it by the time anything happens now.

One of the guys at work is an x bus drivers and when he was in training he was told by his instructor not to wory about cyclist because if the worst comes to the worst they can always jump off the bike!

What a load of Bollox .. no instructor in their right mind would make a statement like that .. stop talking rubbish to try and cover a stupid statement in an earlier post

Keenbfb

I work in one of Scotland's biggest city's and with that comes one of the biggest bus services. I watch cyclist every day having to do battle with bus drivers who do not care about cyclist. This is not a generalisation it's fact. One of the guys at work is an x bus drivers and when he was in training he was told by his instructor not to wory about cyclist because if the worst comes to the worst they can always jump off the bike!

And yet it was a Scottish bus company that made that excellent video showing their drivers how to look out for cyclists and how as a cyclist you can help to keep your self safe around buses, they are way in front when it comes to training bus drivers in Scotland.

I have to agree with Muddyfox your mate is talking through his ass, if he was to kill a cyclist and could prove that he instructor had in fact made that statement then the instructor would find himself in the dock along side him...

Top Bottom