A few lessons learned about saddles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

endoman

Setting out with the intention of a 60 mile hilly club ride today, after about 6 miles on way to meet point heard a " clunk" npise from beneath and the saddle became rather floppy. Thought a bolt must be loose so rode to the meet point and investigated. Discovered a totally snapped alloy rail, saddle useless, so limped the 7 miles back home with it, and set off in search of a new perch. Got a lovely new carbon thing, bit hard to fit to my seat post but did 50 odd miles this afternoon with no discomfort. ( selle italia SLR Fibra) Very good price from Planet X, and nice they were open on a Sunday to pop in and get it. Firmer than the stock one with my bike, but I quite like that, easy to move around on it if you wish and it looks swish as well.

Now discovered it has 8.5 mm carbon rails and my seat post clamp is for 7mm, hence the creaking noise I was getting at times, so have ordered a nice new carbon post to match and the proper fitting clamps to go with it. Will save me about 300 grammes in total as a bonus.

Don't know if it's worth seeing if there any warranty on these things? I was about 90K when I started, now down to 76K, so not a huge porker, always been looked after but i have done a few thousand miles on it. Glad it did it now and not on first climb of The Etape!

oldroadman

Veteran
Learn and move on - worth a try for the rail problem, but depends on age of the saddle.

Top Bottom