A Few Questions About Riding With a Trailer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
we got a burley, and the kids love it. we also got the attachment that lets you drop a front wheel down and turn the thing into a stroller buggy.
never had so much space from drivers when i've ridden it, with/without kids (or cats)…
the only downside is that the local ex-railway trail (the middlewood way) does not have wide enough access for trailers all the way along

I have this problem in a couple of parks I take kidda too... pain in the arse...

U

User482

I use a croozer trailer a lot - it's amazing how many people ask if I think it's safe, yet will happily cross the road with a pram, or bomb down the motorway with their kid in the back. I've only ever had one problem with a driver passing too close, yet my daughter's life is routinely endanagered by motorists jumping red lights when I'm waiting to cross.

Perception's a funny thing...

Anyway, I did feel a teensy bit guilty yesterday picking her up from nursery, when I discovered that the trailer was covered in frost. Surprisingly, she was absolutely fine, I guess the cover keeps all the wind chill out.

CarlosVanDango

I had a cycle trailer and did loads of miles on the road with my daughter in it. she's grown out of it and we use a tag bike - (she is 7), we drive in traffic often and it is giving her good experience for when she's old enough to ride on her own in traffic!

i would say if your not a confident rider then don't use one on the road, but if you are they are fine ^_^

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I have a trailer rather like the old Cannondale trailer of the unfortunate name. It mounts to the seatpost, and is more stable than the trailer I use for the doggies to ride in, which attaches to the stays . Both are now stored, or I'd post pictures. Had about 10-14 degree high temps for the last week, will warm up soon and I'll be back using them again and I'll post a picture.

Leccy

Bike trailer (hidden in the background!) was perfect for a New Year's Day ride and pub lunch, the last time my son will fit in it so we made it a good one, he'll be sad to see it go but now moved on to a trailgator whilst attempting to get the hang of his own bike.
Trailer was much admired sat outside a pub, families and dog owners all wanted to ask questions and look inside!

Attachments

• IMG_1192.jpg
    IMG_1192.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 73

cyclingsheep

One thing I do notice is that the majority of you saying "using trailers on the road is fine" don't live in London. Now I've worked in London as a bicycle courier in the past and have commuted for years but I'd still be wary of using the trailer in central city. I use it regularly around Richmond/Twickenham area but I'm about to venture into Battersea with my 20 month old and have to say I'm a little nervous.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
One thing I do notice is that the majority of you saying "using trailers on the road is fine" don't live in London. Now I've worked in London as a bicycle courier in the past and have commuted for years but I'd still be wary of using the trailer in central city. I use it regularly around Richmond/Twickenham area but I'm about to venture into Battersea with my 20 month old and have to say I'm a little nervous.

I'm SE London based. And when the roads are busy then I find it's safer then when not. This way you can keep with the traffic without having to wait for that thankfully rare, quick, close pass.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
On the flag front my trailer has two whip poles with luminous fur attached to them that flap in the wind. No probs with it so far, but I start work too early to take Miss CP to school in it.

Anyway, Miss CP is getting to the stage of being trust-worthy enough to ride a tag along.

EthelF

Rain God
I'm based in SW London (Wandsworth) and am pretty comfortable riding on most roads round here. I do admit I am a bit more selective about the roads I'll ride with the trailer than without (Trinity Road, no way!), but I have had no problems on the more minor roads, and very few close passes, far fewer than when riding solo. OK, I do go a bit overboard with lights on the trailer, in addition to a flag.
I have been down to Battersea Park a couple of times, stringing together mainly minor roads with a few short sections of busier ones. I also regularly head over to Richmond Park via Wimbledon & Wimbledon Common. So Richmond to Battersea should be no problem IMHO.
Still would probably draw the line at heading into the West End though.

Puddles

Do I need to get the spray plaster out?
I trailer everywhere since I gave up the car, I say I, (how I wish sometimes) but the littlest - 2 1/2 years goes in the trailer it is a Skiiddii, I think I managed enough d's & I's there.

It has been adapted a bit - flag on the correct side, I also have rice led's around the windows and across the handle at the back as winter time when we collect the eldest from school in the dusky dark I like a nice red glow. I changed the square reflectors ont eh back for some red triangular ones.

Oh and my most recent addition is a nice big yellow sticker on the back of the trailer

imgp0991f.jpg

Glowy lights inside

imgp0968w.jpg

I have no worries about being on the road I generally get quite a wide berth from cars and the road I mostly travel on I share with a constant stream of petrol tankers, the handle is also a great place to mount a camera :-)

Sara_H

Guru
I trailer everywhere since I gave up the car, I say I, (how I wish sometimes) but the littlest - 2 1/2 years goes in the trailer it is a Skiiddii, I think I managed enough d's & I's there.

It has been adapted a bit - flag on the correct side, I also have rice led's around the windows and across the handle at the back as winter time when we collect the eldest from school in the dusky dark I like a nice red glow. I changed the square reflectors ont eh back for some red triangular ones.

Oh and my most recent addition is a nice big yellow sticker on the back of the trailer

imgp0991f.jpg

Glowy lights inside

imgp0968w.jpg

I have no worries about being on the road I generally get quite a wide berth from cars and the road I mostly travel on I share with a constant stream of petrol tankers, the handle is also a great place to mount a camera :-)
Where'd you get your sticker from, puddles? I really like it.

Top Bottom