A few technical questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Michaelt

Hi all,

I am starting to do a bit of research into a new bike, I currently own a Fuji Team 3.0 which I purchased through the C2W scheme last year. I have been really happy with this bike and it doesn't really hold me back but when I bought it my only consideration was price.

Now after 18 months of cycling I want to upgrade and have got three bikes shortlisted:

Plant X RT-57
http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/CBPXRT57FOR/planet_x_rt_57_sram_force_road_bike

Cannondale SuperSix 105
http://www.cannondale.com/2012/bikes/road/elite-road/supersix/2012-supersix-5-105-21267

Boardman SLR 9.0
http://www.boardmanbikes.com/road/slr90.html

Now my questions are:

Overall which bike would be considered the best value for money?
What is the difference between SRAM and Shimano parts; eg 105 or Force?

Also, I am 6 foot and about 15st, which I am intending on shifting at least half a stone by the time I buy a new bike.

Thanks for reading and any replies.

Michael

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
On looks alone i would go for the cannondale, never used sram nothing wrong with 105 gear, the wife uses it with no probs,
Not really any help to you, but am sure someone will be along in a bit to give more advice.^_^

Also, I am 6 foot and about 15st, which I am intending on shifting at least half by the time I buy a new bike.

you plan on losing 7.5 stone..??

Anyway...

Best 'value' = Planet X
Force v 105 = No contest. Force is more Ultegra level and significantly lighter. It should come down to ergonomics though, which depends on whichever one you feel most comfortable on.

lejogger

Guru

Anyway...

Best 'value' = Planet X
Force v 105 = No contest. Force is more Ultegra level and significantly lighter. It should come down to ergonomics though, which depends on whichever one you feel most comfortable on.
Agree with this... I personally prefer the look of the Boardman despite it being more expensive - I've never loved the planet x bikes to be honest. They just look like generic chinese imports.
The Cannondale looks underspecced compared to the other two (depending on how much you can get it for), especially in the wheel department.

GrasB

Veteran
One thing to watch out for on Planet-X bikes is that they do cut the spec of certain components. For instance they did have a SRAM 'Red setup' which was very cheap however it only had Red shifters, everything else was Rival or non-SRAM kit!

I've never loved the planet x bikes to be honest. They just look like generic chinese imports.

that's pretty much what they are, to be fair - although I think some (not all) of their frames may be exclusive to them, so not all generic as such. Still good frames though and difficult to beat from a value POV... :smile:

GrasB makes a good point - look carefully at their build specs.... ;)

Nah, 3 feet. :eek:

Top Bottom