a few thoughts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SamNichols

1) The wink smiley: does anyone else think that it looks more like a knowing smirk than a wink? It's my favourite smiley though.
2) The two Marmite people: Heston Blumenthal and Russell Brand. I like the both of them alot. Quite a few people that I know think that they're idiots. In my world, if a rissotto isn't served with a biscuit made of horlicks, salt and coffee powder, then it's not worth having. Also, I like Brand's way with words (although I admit that he looks like a fool).

Anyone else have stupid thoughts to air on this Friday night?

bonj2

Sorry Sam, but Russell Brand is a tosser of the highest order. An embarassment to the human race, the churlish attention-seeking little idiot renders every program he appears on completely cringeworthy. How anyone finds the crassest form of toilet humour funny is beyond me. Worst form of twunt.

Melvil

Oh I have stupid thoughts by the bucketful most times, but not sure if they should ever be shared!

I get incredibly annoyed with Mr Brand's television persona but the other day I went into Borders to get out of the rain and picked up his book(y wook) from the shelf and had a wee nosy. It was actually rather interesting and my view of him changed a bit.

Heston B is someone I'd like to meet. He seems like a really interesting bloke (well, the majority of chefs are 'interesting' people but with him it seems he's interesting in a non-criminal, non basketcase way).

OP
OP
SamNichols

SamNichols

Most of it isn't actually toilet humour, they are very silly philosophy jokes intermixed with weird eastern mysticism. Bits of it are toilet based, and a lot of it is about sex: but, to be honest, the media have him plugged as a sex fiend, so he plays up to it a lot. I find his use of language very amusing, but I understand that he's like Marmite. His stand-up and podcasts are good, although his TV vehicles are weak. I'm no apologist, but I think he's good. Each to his own. Also, his interview on BBC4's More Boys who do comedy was very good: even my dad's eyes were opened to him, and realised that his act is precisely that, an act.

As for Heston B. He's like Dr Bunsen Honeydew (looking at him, he looks a bit like him). I sympathise with him, because his obsessions are almost aspergers weird half the time. I'd like to go to his restaurant, but there's no way I'll afford it.

Plax

Guru
Sorry Sam, but Russell Brand is a tosser of the highest order. An embarassment to the human race, the churlish attention-seeking little idiot renders every program he appears on completely cringeworthy. How anyone finds the crassest form of toilet humour funny is beyond me. Worst form of twunt.

I agree. He is irritating and needs to put on some weight and get a haircut. He ruined Jonathan Ross for me the other night!

bonj2

SamNichols said:
Most of it isn't actually toilet humour, they are very silly philosophy jokes intermixed with weird eastern mysticism. Bits of it are toilet based, and a lot of it is about sex: but, to be honest, the media have him plugged as a sex fiend, so he plays up to it a lot. I find his use of language very amusing, but I understand that he's like Marmite. His stand-up and podcasts are good, although his TV vehicles are weak. I'm no apologist, but I think he's good. Each to his own. Also, his interview on BBC4's More Boys who do comedy was very good: even my dad's eyes were opened to him, and realised that his act is precisely that, an act.

So you didn't see him ruin an episode of Have I Got News For You then?
If you did, perhaps you can shed some light on where to find the 'philosophy joke intermixed with weird eastern mysticism' in wandering around ranting about wanting to piss into a bottle?
And what's 'good' about then shouting over the other guests who were trying to ignore him, and walking in front of the camera whose operator has decided to point it away from him ?
That isn't 'clever', or 'playing up the media's stereotype of him', it's peurile attention seeking, and it isn't funny. Whether he manages to make the odd funny joke or not (which if he does is obviously more by luck than judgement), it doesn't change the fact he's a peurile attention seeker.

Melvil

SamNichols said:

As for Heston B. He's like Dr Bunsen Honeydew (looking at him, he looks a bit like him). I sympathise with him, because his obsessions are almost aspergers weird half the time. I'd like to go to his restaurant, but there's no way I'll afford it.

I heard his restaurant's not that expensive considering it's in the world top 10, if not the top 5...

On that note whilst on hols in Spain we were staying very close (over a ridge) from El Bulli, which has a fearsomely high reputation - was tempted to try my luck and beg for a table despite waiting lists being over a year long!

bonj2

Plax said:
I agree. He is irritating and needs to put on some weight and get a haircut. He ruined Jonathan Ross for me the other night!

What I hate about him is not only that he isn't funny, but that he's actually cringeworthy - he ruins programs simply by being on them. Most people who aren't funny are just ignorable, but he isn't.

OP
OP
SamNichols

SamNichols

I did see that, and he didn't walk out of it well. But, at least it distracted me from the weekly smuggery of Ian Hislop's hackneyed one-liners that he writes all week, and Jack Dee's one-note jokes. Paul Merton is the only one on that show with any originality in him, the others should be changed. That programme needs a shake-up. As i said, you don't have to like him, but it's impossible to ruin a show that's a bit crap anyway: at least he puts some variety in the flipping proceedings. also, Brand's monkey government jokes I did find amusing.

OP
OP
SamNichols

SamNichols

Melvil said:
I heard his restaurant's not that expensive considering it's in the world top 10, if not the top 5...

On that note whilst on hols in Spain we were staying very close (over a ridge) from El Bulli, which has a fearsomely high reputation - was tempted to try my luck and beg for a table despite waiting lists being over a year long!

given that I have no real income, I can't afford to go anywhere. I think it's voted as being one of the top 2 at the moment. I, however, wouldn't try either snail porridge or bacon and eggs ice cream though: there's only so much weirdness that I can take. The first time I encountered him was on richard and judy years ago, where he was showing what he was serving at Fat Duck at that moment: a variety of foods with a microphone and a pair of headphones so that you could hear yourself eating them. Barmy.

Abitrary

SamNichols said:
Russell Brand. I like the both of them alot.

Russell Brand is an annoying attention seeking self-gratification artist.

But the annoying thing is, like Clarkson, if you give him a context and a structured show, he can be quite clever.

I still would not rather have him on my TV at all though, because he's an annoying attention seeking self-gratification artist

Melvil

Abitrary said:
Russell Brand is an annoying attention seeking self-gratification artist.

But the annoying thing is, like Clarkson, if you give him a context and a structured show, he can be quite clever.

I still would not rather have him on my TV at all though, because he's an annoying attention seeking self-gratification artist

Yes, but then so many other people on the telly are too!

Top Bottom