A Few Trike Questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
1/ What is generally the distance between the front wheels?

2/ Is it practical to store a trike by hanging from the front wheels as you would a DF?

3/ How luggable is it as regards tilting to manoeuvre in or out of a garage?

The above are not problems that would be a bar to ownership, but I'd like to know how I need to re-arrange my rather full garage to accommodate one.

classic33

Leg End Member
Use a slightly heavier quad. Currently stored upright against a wall, not by its wheels though. Homemade strap on the frame holding it in place.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
  1. 80cm, though it varies (QNT = 70cm)
  2. Yes, but you have to be able to lift it, and hook both wheels in. IE. You need mobility and strength.
  3. Depends on who is doing the lugging. Generally, grab it by the rear rack (or wheel) and tow it behind you, keeping the crankset off the floor. You do NOT want to be holding the whole thing aloft.

1/ Track can be 28-35 " inches dependent on model

2/ If you can lift it up there but remember the front boom sticks out .and overall height could be up to 84"

3/ I can just lift my e-trike into the boot of my estate car on my own and that weighs 75lb with electrics

It lives in the boot of the estate most of the time :wacko:

IF you want to store it on the floor I would suggest a space of 36" x 84"

remember you can fit 2 into the same space if you make a trike rack on casters

go for it , you know you want to ^_^

regard emma

1) check the spec of the model you are looking at, they should have it listed.

2) possibly, might be easier to put together a pulley system and have the trike hanging from the roof.

3) easiest way us to walk with the trike facing away from you holding onto the rear wheel. You can lift a trike, one hand on the rear stay and the other on the crucifix to lift the bike horizontally, or hands in the same position you can upend the bike, just be careful with the boom and remember lugging 35lbs+ of trike after a ride can be tiresome.

Comparing apples, pears oranges and pineapples!

1/ What is generally the distance between the front wheels?

The distance varies with models, but this is also important with stability and sesign. For instance the Kettwiesel has tilted wheels to widen the wheelbase. Narrower wheelbase means less stability, so you need to balance the two

2/ Is it practical to store a trike by hanging from the front wheels as you would a DF?

Lots of options...

Hanging by the rear wheel is ften easier, as you don't need to position the hook as carefully

Another option is to use a standard rack such as this and support the trike by the cross frame

?u=http%3A%2F%2Fecx.images-amazon.com%2Fimages%2FI%2F311kVEftJvL._SY300_.jpg

It is also with care possible to use an adapted "Laundry hoist to mount on the roof

3/ How luggable is it as regards tilting to manoeuvre in or out of a garage?

Depends.... Most trikes can be pulled along by the rear wheel or rack for tadpoles or the front wheel / rack for the Delta design

The above are not problems that would be a bar to ownership, but I'd like to know how I need to re-arrange my rather full garage to accommodate one.

Of course you can also look at the folding aspect.
I have tow Gekkos that fold and have a very small floor footprint. In fact they will fit into a normal bike locker. The Gekko has "skate wheels" that allow short transit on smooth surfaces

P5240046-1.jpg

It isn't much help, but there will be a trike out there that can suit your needs and fit into your garage

Top Bottom