A film I will be going to see...

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by GrumpyGregry, 20 Jul 2012.

1. GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry Here for rides.

... if anywhere around here ever shows it, purely on the basis of its splendid 5 star review in the FT

Swandown

2. ABikeCam

ABikeCam Throwing Frazzles at a badger

Anything with Alan Moore in it can't be bad... I'll keep an eye out for that.

3. ASC1951

ASC1951 Guru

It doesn't feature on IMDb yet, although the FT is usually reliable - it gave Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter zero, only because it couldn't give it a negative score. OTOH I see that the reviewer makes an approving reference to the uber-pretentious Peter Greenaway.....

4. OP
    OP
    GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry Here for rides.

but to the Greenaway pre-pretentious era surely?

5. ASC1951

ASC1951 Guru

I wasn't aware that there is such an era. I've only seen The Draughtsman's Contract, The Belly of the Architect, The Cook etc and Prospero's Books. TDC was a fine film, but you could see where he was heading; and by Prospero's Books he is turning out total tosh. Mind you, I might be unduly influenced by his collaboration with Michael Nyman, a man I've always seen as the poseur's poseur.

6. The Jogger

The Jogger Guru

7. ASC1951

ASC1951 Guru

Yes, I like Timothy Spall's stuff. Despite turning out for several of Stephen Poliakoff's offerings, he does show that not all top quality actors are luvvies.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice