A folding bike that weighs 6.5 kg.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LigiaStan

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to introduce what I’ve been working on for the past year: the world’s lightest folding bike, weighing 6.5 kg. I’ve put a lot of time into this project - The Hummingbird Bike - and it’s finally going to be available to buy on Kickstarter, starting with the 11th of November!

Some info on the bike: it’s carbon fibre, will come in yellow, red, black and raw carbon fibre and will be available with 16” wheels or 20” wheels. The design is patent pending and ready for manufacturing - we’ll produce it in the UK.

Would love to hear your feedback and you can always get in touch on www.hummingbirdbike.com or on https://www.facebook.com/hummingbirdbike1/

Thanks and hope you like it,

Ligia

tumblr_nxklwfqpmQ1ul5w3qo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nxkmlhFKJS1ul5w3qo1_1280.png

tumblr_nxklxs8E5l1ul5w3qo1_1280.png

giphy.gif

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Cool. Does it have a coaster brake as I can't see a rear calliper?
Best of luck with it.:okay:

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Looks good, I like the aesthetics of the rear end, quite Robot Wars.

Is it singlespeed only? What luggage options does it have? Are the dropouts suitable 135/100 mm width to fit rear/front hub options if desired?

+1 @annedonnelly I imagine bus drivers and LRT operators might well be sniffy about letting it on with a fixed front fork. Also with the partial Brompton/Birdy fold I wonder how it will fit in the back of a car & if it fills up a car boot similar to a larger wheel, non foldy bike, what is the functional advantages of this one?

chris folder

Hi looks cool if it folded like a bromptom I would buy one at thatweight

StuartG

slower but further
Kojaks? I'd rather ride on the rims, well you end up doing that anyway :smile:

Good luck with the project. I'm guessing the major competition would be top end Dahon/Tern but I hope it prompts Brompton Towers to panic a little.

OP
OP
LigiaStan

LigiaStan

Hi guys,

We're live on Kickstarter! --> http://kck.st/1ODKIwf

Just clarifying some stuff: the bike in the photos is our prototype. The production version will have fenders. The rear part that is now alluminium will be carbon fiber, which saves some weight and compensates for the fenders and everything else you can fit on it.

The bike will have a rear brake and it will be routed internally. The contact points with the ground will have rubber patches. The bike will also have an integrated handle in the main frame for easier handling.

Also, we will do a 5-speed internal hub version too, as it is on Kickstarter. 16" wheels or 20" wheels.

Thanks!

....very clever design, doing away with a chain tensioner is great, and having horizontal dropouts bodes well. Hope there's enough clearance to add balloon tyres - would compensate for lack of boingness.

As someone who already has a small wheeled folder, I appreciate what they offer, but am aware of the limitations of having small wheels.I'm currently on the look out for a full sized folding bike, but limited options. Now there's a void that needs filling :smile:

StuartG

slower but further
£3,440 is a little out of my league - there's no way I could get that past my senior management team so you may wish to ignore my comment!

Which is, lose the fenders! I have them on my Brompton but this is a beautiful minimalist machine. Lightness is your USP, don't compromise on it. Mudguards rattle, require brackets and holes. People who will buy this will have other bikes. If they need mudguards for the rain they will take another bike. This is for the sunny days - yay!

Top Bottom