A folding bike that weighs 6.5 kg.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuartG

slower but further
Whoops! I mistook the big number for the price! Around a grand each is much more reasonable. I just need to think how I could get this past my SMT before you sell out.

Shortmember

Bickerton Cyclocross Racing Team groupie
On paper it's everything a folding bike should be in the 21st century, but the £1550 estimated retail price is too high for a single speed bike that is meant to appeal to the everyday urban commuter

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
On paper it's everything a folding bike should be in the 21st century, but the £1550 estimated retail price is too high for a single speed bike that is meant to appeal to the everyday urban commuter

Makes a single speed Brompton look cheap at under £800.

Weighs more, but still not too bad at just over 10kg.

A closer comparison would be a Superlight, which is £1,385 for 9.6kg.

https://www.brompton.com/Buy/Build-your-Brompton

StuartG

slower but further
The £1550 estimated retail price is too high for a single speed bike that is meant to appeal to the everyday urban commuter
How much would a Titanium Brompton sport cost? The target market has to be where weight is the most crucial factor - the fold isn't 'cos Brompton have that market sewn up. And the weakness of the Brompton is weight, not so much on the road, but for carrying up stairs or long distances. At least for those of us bicep-challenged folks. This may also capitalise on being even sportier than the Brompton which is no slouch off the grid line.

They are right to go for the premium market. They just have to deliver a premium product and design out the niggles that can turn a perfect conception into a practical disaster. Bikes are so hard to get right the first time round.

Interesting. How long will that seat post last at full extension before it buckles and folds under the arriss of a 240lb man?
Not every bike is suitable for every purpose. However the brompton and mezzo 16" folders have similar seatpost lengths are allow riders up to 110kg, which is about that amount.

But even if it couldn't handle that, it's a specious complaint. It wouldn't be good for a world tour or climbing Mt Ventoux. That's not a reason for not building it. Most riders are well under 110kg.

Brains

Legendary Member
Hi I was sent the Kickstarter link from another source, so it's good to see you have pushed around other places.
Not having looked at a kickstarted project before, what is the minimum investment, and what do you get back in return ?

Re the bike my comments are:
It looks a bit long, is there a way the front wheel/handlebars can be folded back ?
There is a reason why the entry level Brompton leaves change from £1,000. You either build a bike to a budget, or to a specification, one or the other.
Can you get an entry level version on the road, including your profit, and an agents profit for under £1,000 ?

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
No clicky linky yet so the answer may be obvious but use of the word fender on P1 suggests not a UK startup. Just for info £1000 in UK is the usual cut off for Cycle 2 work, government sponsored tax break system for new bike purchases. under this is good if you wish to access a bigger market share and take a crack at the commuter/multi modal market.

There are some very good foldy bikes in the £1500-2000+ that are barely heard of and even more rarely seen on the roads because of that cost point vs the hype (and rightly so) excellent reputation of Brompton and size and reach of Dahon in the well sub £1000 sector.

Last edited:

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Not every bike is suitable for every purpose. However the brompton and mezzo 16" folders have similar seatpost lengths are allow riders up to 110kg, which is about that amount.

But even if it couldn't handle that, it's a specious complaint. It wouldn't be good for a world tour or climbing Mt Ventoux. That's not a reason for not building it. Most riders are well under 110kg.

I'd give it a go...
Nov2014 pictures from phone 045.jpg

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
You can get 2 Brommies for the price.

People come out with these good ideas but they should think about the price they intend to sell for. I cant imagine people rushing to his door at that price.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I hope @LigiaStan , who has never seen fit to take part in Cyclechat before ,is paying cyclechat for this advert.
I think the bike looks great and would much prefer to carry 6.5 kgs up a flight of stairs than 10 kg.

Origamist

Legendary Member
The weight is clearly the USP - and if it is as light as claimed, it will make a noticeable difference when you have to lug it around. The folded size is the obvious downside - it will probably be OK on buses and trains that are not rammed, but I think it would struggle to be practical on the busy tube. I should think it will fit in most boots though. The price is not a bargain, but I don't think it's unreasonable - the premium for larger 20" wheels is understandable, but I'm not sure it's worth paying the extra. As it's carbon, I'd be worried about damage, but if you are able to tether it when travelling, it should be fine.

If I had to choose one of the two new folding bikes on KickStarter, I'd still opt for the 3 KG heavier Ti Helix.

Last edited:
Top Bottom