A funny yet sad story of what happened yesterday.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi again.
There's an elderly lady who lives by me and I often visit her to make sure she's ok. She had a stroke a couple of years back and gets very mixed up with day to day things. Because of this, I try and help as much as possible, to make life just that little easier for her and sort out any confusions she may be struggling with. Some of things she gets confused with is sad to see, but I find it somewhat comical sometimes.
The other day she asked if I could give her a lift to a friends house because she was going to give them a hand with there garden.."Not a problem I said, You name the day and I take you to them"
Yesterday after work, I gave her the lift she wanted. As I live in a rural part of the UK we soon ended driving down the country lanes whilst taking directions from her. We ended up at this remote farm. It didn't seem right to me that this was the right place so I hung back before driving home to make sure she had got the right place.
Sure enough it was the wrong place.
After a few more attempts and wrong addresses we were now on unclassified roads right up in the mountains with my poor car bottoming out in the ruts.As the time was getting on I asked, was he expecting you to be there for 4.30. She turned round and said ,no I haven't seen him for ten years.!!. I didn't question her as why or how she was going there to help with his garden. Eventually we did find the the place.
It was something thing like were the "dingles" from Emmerdale live. It was a run down farm house with scrap cars and caravans cluttering up the place. On the track up to it we were greeted with around 40 odd free range chickens blocking the road .As soon as opened the door to my car to get out one the little blighters got in and crapped on my seat.( Not impressed :-).
After a few moments this huge elderly guy came out of his house. I could not believe the size of him. He must of been at least 6"7 and looked well into his 70,s. His trousers where about fours inches to short and looked like something off the Munsters with his combat boots on.
To me ,non of this seemed right, so I stayed back to make sure she would be ok.
After a brief conversation between themselves and longer periods of silence she came back to the car and asked if we could go back home.
I still don't know now what the hell it was all about or the purpose of the visit. On the way home she just told me the same story's as when we went .
It's very sad to see someone suffering with dementia but I must admit I did have a chuckle to this adventure yesterday.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@johnnyb47 that is a sad but like you say funny tale

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
Cheers Tim.
She's a lovely person and is sadly a shadow of her former self. She was good friends of my belated mum and she can remember everything that they did way back when they were youngsters. Her long term memory is perfect but her short term memory suffers badly.
It's nice to sit and listen to all her stories of what she and mum got up to when they were kids.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Its great you are there to help. Unfortunately dementia only gets worse and eventually she'll won't be able to cope with every day tasks. Does she not have any relatives that can can help and perhaps call in social services when the need arises?

Having looked after 2 close family members with dementia I had a lot of fun with them just going along with whatever they wanted to do. I have a lasting memory (until it happens to me) of my Dad sniggering at his naughty Scrabble words. Hopefully those last few confusing years were as happy as they could be.

Venod

Eh up
Well done for looking after her and being able to laugh about it whilst appreciating the sadness of it, my mother suffered badly with dementia and in her last years ended up in a nursing home, but what laughs she gave to us all including herself, the wife and I used to go home in stitches without feeling guilty about it.

If I end up with dementia I want my mothers version.

betty swollocks

large member
Good on yer Johnny.
My 92yo mum has vascular dementia and I'm just home from visiting her. She still keeps me on my toes.
The conversation went like this:-
"What's that picture on the wall?"
"It's some elephants charging mum."
"How much?"
"Eh?"
"How much are they charging?"

She got me again.

[QUOTE 5226683, member: 43827"]I think the op's actions are great, and I can see the occasional black humour in some dementia sufferers' tales.

But I find it very difficult to laugh at it myself because of the memories of my mother's early onset dementia, the terror in her eyes when she was first diagnosed and the stress on my father who insisted on looking after her at home. I remember the day when for the first time in two years that she recognised me. She died that night.

I am well beyond the age when she developed Alzheimer's, but it is still the one thing that terrifies me.[/QUOTE]
Sorry about your experience. I feel for older people have to cope with a partners dementia often without any support.
Please don't be offended by comments about amusing situations and dementia. Nobody is laughing at the person or the condition, more laughing with the person.

Top Bottom