A good all round fast Road Tyre

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

172traindriver

Legendary Member
Continental GP4000S on my summer bikes, cant fault them.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Anyone with anything to say about Specialized Armadillo?

I use Armadillos on all 3 bikes. Find them fine for my needs; but I am not a racer - more of a mile eating plodder! So some might find them heavy, but I don't have a problem with this as a trade off for being pretty much puncture free for the last 2 years (a large piece of broken glass did managed to destroy one tyre).

Just remember to replace them long before the tread wears out, or they end up like this :whistle::

DSC00295.jpg

bobones

Veteran
Anyone with anything to say about Specialized Armadillo?
I put the wired All Condition Armadillo 25s on my winter bike this winter and while they've not punctured I find them very slow rolling and heavy. I ended up putting last year's wired Gatorskins back on the bike (also 25s) and the difference in comfort and pedalling effort is remarkable. Unfortunately there is a big sidewall gash on the rear Gator that I've booted but I don't want to continue with them for too long so I'm in the market for something else. I really want 25s but was considering the GP 24s that are available in a twin pack with tubes for £55, but since it's my winter/rain bike I was thinking about the new Gator Hardshells or GP 4 seasons for extra longevity and puncture protection. Any advice?

I really want 25s but was considering the GP 24s that are available in a twin pack with tubes for £55, but since it's my winter/rain bike I was thinking about the new Gator Hardshells or GP 4 seasons for extra longevity and puncture protection. Any advice?
I could have been unlucky but I've went right off the GP24s and 22's all of them (2 of each) failed prematurely at the side wall (the longest got 1400miles) and I also found that they were more prone to p'ture than any other tyre I've had. The treads look almost new though and the tyres performed gripped well during their short life. I could be wrong but it seems to me that conti have concentrated on getting a grippy tyre with a bit of protection on the tread and forgot all about the sidewalls. As a temporary measure (turned out 1500miles :blush:) I borrowed a front wheel with a gator skin it never p'tured in that time and despite reports I found it very grippy. I've had 4 seasons in the past, they are good grippy, light and well rolling tyres (maybe slightly better than gatorskins in that respective) after a while (quite a while IMC) they become a little p'ture prone as they are wearing out (up till then they are relatively p'ture free). If I had the money I think I'd go for 4 Seasons, closely followed by the gators, but I don't and have tried Mitch Krylion Carbon now and they havent p'tured (touchwood) in 1428miles and look almost as good as new and they grip well too and are the price of the GP24's.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Folding Gatorskins for me too. P3Rs cut up so easily. I had to ditch a pair after just a few summer months - top dressing did for them. Put Gatorskins on both bikes and after the winter and spring there is hardly a mark on them, and they don't feel much more sluggish either - must be folding though, the wired are much heavier.

Top Bottom