A good deed from a lorry driver

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robjh

Legendary Member
I was cycling home yesterday afternoon, and about 3 miles from my house I passed a large lorry parked in a layby while the driver was on his phone. As I passed, he started gesticulating with his free arm in my direction, but I couldn't see any reason for it, and wasn't sure that he wasn't just waving his arm expansively as part of his conversation on the phone. It vaguely occurred to me he could be telling me to get on the cycle path opposite, but even that didn't feel quite right. Anyway, I rode on and thought no more about it.

10 minutes after I got home the doorbell rang. There was a huge articulated trailer across my drive, and the driver handed me the wallet that had dropped from my pocket on the road 3 miles earlier. He had found my driving licence in it and traced my address.

I thanked him profusely, he seemed like a nice chap, and then he was off in his truck. I didn't even register the name of the haulage company, to send them a thankyou email. It was a blue lorry.

If anyone overhears a lorry driver telling how he took a dozy cyclist's wallet back to him, do thank him for me.

alicat

Legendary Member
Lovely story - thanks for sharing.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I guess you know all the tricks of the trade :laugh:
Possibly more to do with having a cynical attitude brought about by 19 years in Strathclyde's finest law enforcers. It was notable that the first two likes of that post came from 2 other ex Polis! :smile:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Robert Heinlein, the sci fi author espoused notion of "don't pay back, pay forward" . Someone does you a favour ao you help the next fella. He, hopefully does the same. I guess we all try and do it, but it's a fine idea

Globalti

Legendary Member
Trust is a wonderful thing. My customer in Sudan pays us hundreds of thousands of pounds a year through Hawala, which is an Islamic money transfer system that can only work when everybody involved is 100% honest. In 25 years we have never had a problem, although it only moves as fast as Sudanese people in the UK are sending money in the opposite direction.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
My wife lost her purse about a year ago with money, bank card and driving licence in it. It never came back and she had to renew everything after putting a stop on her bank card right away though but I do agree that there are more good people than bad ones.

JohnHughes307

Über Member
Mrs 307 has her bag stolen in Walthamstow market years ago. An envelope arrived through the post about a week later with the photos of the children and her keys and driving license - no money or bank cards, but still... Even the thief felt guilty about the pictures of the children! And, yes, we had already changed the locks as soon as we realised that the keys AND address were in the same bag!

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Just a gentle reminder. It is driving licenCE not license. The "s" is only used as a verb as in "licensing" but not as a noun.

Top Bottom