A good deed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigtallfatbloke

elepjy1.jpg

In 1986, Dan Harrison ( see picture above ) was on holiday in Kenya after graduating from Northwestern University .

On a hike through the bush, he came across a young bull elephant standing with one leg raised in the air. The elephant seemed distressed, so Dan approached it very carefully.

He got down on one knee and inspected the elephant's foot and found a large piece of wood deeply embedded in it.

As carefully and as gently as he could, Dan worked the wood out with his hunting knife, after which the elephant gingerly put down its foot.

The elephant turned to face the man, and with a rather curious look on its face, stared at him for several tense moments.

Dan stood frozen, thinking of nothing else but being trampled. Eventually the elephant trumpeted loudly, turned, and walked away.

Dan never forgot that elephant or the events of that day.

Twenty years later, Dan was walking through the Chicago Zoo with his teenaged son.

As they approached the elephant enclosure, one of the creatures turned and walked over to near where Dan and his son Dan Jr. were standing.

The large bull elephant stared at Dan , lifted its front foot off the ground, and then put it down. The elephant did that several times then trumpeted loudly, all the while staring at the man.

Remembering the encounter in 1986, Dan couldn't help wondering if this was the same elephant.

Dan summoned up his courage, climbed over the railing and made his way into the enclosure. He walked right up to the elephant and stared back in wonder. The elephant trumpeted again, wrapped its trunk around one of Dan's legs and slammed him against the railing, killing him instantly.

Probably wasn't the same elephant.

vbc

He should have seen that coming, the rest of us did!

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Heard it before, and it still made me chuckle.
Was it on here before?
I dont think it had the picture though.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Joe24 said:
Heard it before, and it still made me chuckle.
Was it on here before?
I dont think it had the picture though.

It was, minus the pic, and it was an African chap called Kwembay Zulu, or something like that...

Arch

Married to Night Train
My vet friend told me the real story once, of the Belfast zoo vet who, at the end of a long day, faced with an elephant with a splinter in its toenail, and all the attendant dangers of anesthetising such an animal, decided it was clever enough to know he was helping, and just pull the splinter out which would instantly relieve the pain.

He woke up 6 weeks later.

barq

Do you remember this?

"Makhmudov was a 45-year-old Azerbaijani man who went to the Kiev Zoo in the Ukraine to prove a point.

Climbing down into a den that held four lions, he shouted out, "God will save me, if he exists!" A lioness, perhaps under God’s orders to tighten the human gene pool, seized his throat and severed his carotid artery, killing him swiftly."

Source: http://www.askmen.com/toys/top_10_200/215_top_10_list.html

Melvil

V.funny!

Elephants are, IMHO, one of the strangest species on the planet in so many different ways...

barq

:smile:

That reminds me of my own pussy cat. I spent hours awake last night because I couldn't get comfy. I daren't move him because once he settles on my bed that's that. He purrs at me but as soon as I try to move him he turns into this snapping, biting, hissing beast. He is large enough that I can be genuinely scared of him.

BTW He came from your part of the world Mr P. I used to live in Bearwood and the cat came from a hostel on the Stratford Road.

Top Bottom