A good effort on a mountain bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
20m elevation per km is seriously hilly. To give an idea of his speed I could probably do it at 14mph. The best local club riders around Glossop could do it at about 16-17mph. The elite sponsored riders that ride in the Peak District could manage 18-19mph. Full time pros (from their Peak District rides on Strava) could go a bit faster than that, probably 21mph

So 18.6mph on any bike is better than probably 99% of all cyclists. On a MTB, it's a hell of an effort

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
20m elevation per km is seriously hilly. To give an idea of his speed I could probably do it at 14mph. The best local club riders around Glossop could do it at about 16-17mph. The elite sponsored riders that ride in the Peak District could manage 18-19mph. Full time pros (from their Peak District rides on Strava) could go a bit faster than that, probably 21mph

So 18.6mph on any bike is better than probably 99% of all cyclists. On a MTB, it's a hell of an effort

I wonder if the elevation on the link might be exaggerated.

Presumably, it was recorded using the rider's Garmin.

The elevation on my non-altimeter Garmin is always corrected some way downward when I use the elevation correction feature on the website.

@ColinJ, @Sea of vapours and @nickyboy all ride regularly in areas I regard as at least as hilly as the Beast route.

They might find the ride a bit easier if they did it than what it looks like on Strava.

S-Express

Agreed - it's an 'unbelievably' good effort.

D

Deleted member 26715

I always average over 16mph on the 29er I would say it is about 1mph faster than the MTB and about 2mph slower than the road bike.
I would agree that a 29er is 1-2mph faster than 26er on the road, although I still only just crack 10mph on mine, but well done that man

D

Deleted member 1258

Sounds suspiciously quick, even on a road bike I'd struggle to average more than 14mph round there

That's an incredible effort :ohmy:
I would be looking to crack 14 mph,but on a small block XC race tyre at the very least .

Well done that man

Jimidh

Veteran
Sounds suspiciously quick, even on a road bike I'd struggle to average more than 14mph round there

I don't think it's suspicious at all - I've a club mate that regularly rides sportives on his MTB and will regularly be one of the fastest. He is super fast and was until recently semi pro so he's not your average rider.

Ajax Bay

Guru
You don't mean this do you, Dave? Well not in the normal meaning of 'suspicious' ie as in cheating. I'll put this down to you still recovering from that (very) nasty sting on the lip and ambulance ride at the weekend.
@Pale Rider reports his time and speaks to the MTB rider (see OP). Has he got it wrong?
What has the speed you think you'd achieve got to do with the speed our hero managed? Stalking your RwGPS recorded rides, you seem to manage about 13mph moving average on your long (ie 80km plus) rides, on your road bike, on the (topographically) benign terrain around the West Midlands. So I think you would be going great guns to do 14mph on the Beast.

Last edited:

jarlrmai

Veteran
Dave Sim a very strong local rider and MTB coach here does some insane stuff on his fat bike.
He did the Fred Whitton route ride (106 miles 10,700 feet) on his fat bike on his own (cos fat bikes were banned) in 7h:37m
You may recall the name as he's the guy that did etape le tour on a Chopper.

So that's ~14 mph with a few stops for water and stuff.

D

Deleted member 1258

You don't mean this do you, Dave? Well not in the normal meaning of 'suspicious' ie as in cheating. I'll put this down to you still recovering from that (very) nasty sting on the lip and ambulance ride at the weekend.
@Pale Rider reports his time and speaks to the MTB rider (see OP). Has he got it wrong?
What has the speed you think you'd achieve got to do with the speed our hero managed? Stalking your RwGPS recorded rides, you seem to manage about 13mph moving average on your long (ie 80km plus) rides, on your road bike, on the (topographically) benign terrain around the West Midlands. So I think you would be going great guns to do 14mph on the Beast.

I'm thinking more about an error somewhere, even in these days of satnav I've seen riders of route, of course in the days before satnav part of the fun was the navigating, I'll freely admit I've been of route and lost on the odd ocasion. Having been around a long time, club rider for 25 years, I'm naturally suspicious of an exceptional time, theres a small band of riders that can do these times, though people are getting quicker as time goes by.

Dave Sim a very strong local rider and MTB coach here does some insane stuff on his fat bike.
He did the Fred Whitton route ride (106 miles 10,700 feet) on his fat bike on his own (cos fat bikes were banned) in 7h:37m
You may recall the name as he's the guy that did etape le tour on a Chopper.

So that's ~14 mph with a few stops for water and stuff.

I want this Dave Sim guy to be my teacher and master :ohmy:
^_^

Top Bottom