A good helmet camera?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rezillo

TwoSheds
Just interested to find out what editing application you use instead of Storyteller.
I've very new to video editing and have found the Storyteller application doesn't do very much anyway.
I'm using Windows Live Movie Maker at the moment once I'd used Storyteller to get the files off the camera.

The simplest free editor for mov files is mpeg streamclip - you can do simple cuts, trimming and file joining without losing the gps data embedded in the video. Quicktime Pro will also do this.

Suppose you want to join file B to File A. Open File B first, then menu Edit/copy. Close File B, Open File A. Menu Edit/go to end/Paste. Wait a few seconds for complete video to appear then use File/Save As. A progress bar will pop up and appear to do nothing for minutes until seconds from the end of the process.

Do NOT use the File/export commands as these will re-render the video and the GPS data will be lost. The Save As option preserves the original picture quality and data - it just redoes all the time codes etc for the joined file. You can also use the Save As command to trim a single file

I use Dashware for mp4 production with overlaid speed, distance and the like. It's a bit quirky and joined files with time gaps will cause issues with speeds that need some careful sorting out to get right.

John

Zee

Veteran
I know you said "good" but for anyone on a budget...

I got this the other day for 15 quid (excluding memory card).

Sounds good. Video quality doesn't look half bad either. Do you have a name or a link?

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Having used a VIO POV.1, it's the nicest and best quality helmet camera out there, IMO. I'm likely to get an HD model at some stage, just can't afford it at the moment.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
A word of warning about that type of camera from 7dayshop; I had one and whilst the results were really impressive, I found that after a couple of months the battery no longer held much of a charge and the recordings lasted no more than a couple of minutes.

It's been sitting unused now since last summer after too many cut-off recordings :angry:

Thinking about a Contour HD if I ever manage to find out whether I'm going to still be in a job by the end of the summer....

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I've got a Contour HD, and it's very good.

I do have a dilemma though. I want to ditch my helmet (fed up with uncomfortable hot head), but still have a camera on my head somewhere so I can easily point it where I want.
Ideally I would like a camera small and light enough to go on the arm of my glasses, even if that meant running a cable to a seperate recorder. No idea if anything like that exists though.

Any other ideas?

BSRU

A Human Being
I've got a Contour HD, and it's very good.

I do have a dilemma though. I want to ditch my helmet (fed up with uncomfortable hot head), but still have a camera on my head somewhere so I can easily point it where I want.
Ideally I would like a camera small and light enough to go on the arm of my glasses, even if that meant running a cable to a seperate recorder. No idea if anything like that exists though.

Any other ideas?

A bullet camera, such as the sort sold by dogcamsport.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
A bullet camera, such as the sort sold by dogcamsport.

http://www.dogcamsport.co.uk/dogcam-bullet-hd-camera.html looks good, but battery life is poor.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I must admit the VIO HD looks good. Eye-wateringly expensive though.
The camera head is probably small and light enough to mount on the arm of a pair of glasses. I might save up.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I must admit the VIO HD looks good. Eye-wateringly expensive though.
The camera head is probably small and light enough to mount on the arm of a pair of glasses. I might save up.

It is bigger than you think, you would have trouble mounting that to your glasses.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
It is bigger than you think, you would have trouble mounting that to your glasses.

+1, I don't think it would be good for that, assuming the head unit is similar in size and weight to the POV.1 which I have.

Someone bought a pair of sunglasses spycamera, I can't remember who, but the footage was surprisingly good, in the Muvi range of quality.

Top Bottom