A good helmet camera?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Cheers all. Leaning towards the MiniDVR 3.
Check the accessory at the bottom of this page. Looks like I could bodge craft that into my existing cycling glasses.

Of course, I still have to convince the wife that cycling without a helmet is OK!!

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Maybe I can convince a surgeon to fit a metal threaded hole into my skull which I can screw a mount into.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Cheers all. Leaning towards the MiniDVR 3.
Check the accessory at the bottom of this page. Looks like I could bodge craft that into my existing cycling glasses.

Of course, I still have to convince the wife that cycling without a helmet is OK!!

That does look like a nice camera! I think LeeW has one. I like the power on-start recording car mode idea. If I ever manage to save up for a Quest velomobile, I might well get two cameras like this to save on fuss.

wintonbina

Über Member
I,too bought the 7dayshop.com camera. It stopped working after being used twice!!! To be fair they are exchanging it & the picture quality is/was very good once you get used to the instructions(as previously noted above they are a nightmare to understand :blush: ). So very good value if, and only if, it works long enough!

benb

Evidence based cyclist
That does look like a nice camera! I think LeeW has one. I like the power on-start recording car mode idea. If I ever manage to save up for a Quest velomobile, I might well get two cameras like this to save on fuss.

I also like the idea of loop mode, where it records 10 mins to a buffer, but only saves it (and then continues to record to SD card) when you push a button on the remote.

I'm only good at advising what not to buy, I've got a ATC5k, its built like a brick (robustness is the only thing its got going for it) but its too big and heavy, the video quality is poor and the sound is even worse. I also borrowed an AT1 for a project its concept is OK but nothing else about it is OK, its quality is pants too and its battery life (one in the camera and one in the recorder) is terrible and unpredictable (well thats a lie its predictably Raphael Phillipe Sheidt).

benb

Evidence based cyclist
The DVR has that too? My VIO does, but I use it less and less nowadays, just record the whole journey instead.

I think so - the description on that site leaves a little to be desired. I might drop them a mail to check.

Hi Guys,

Came across this thread and just thought I'd mention that I will have comparative video from four cameras (POV.HD, Drift HD170, Contour GPS, and Dogcam Bullet HD on my blog by the end of the week.

By comparative, I mean that I wore all 4 cameras at the same time! Yes I did look like a complete plonker (I have a photo!). As this is coinciding with an article that I wrote for Cycle (CTC magazine) that will be out in a few days as well, I'll be waiting a further week before I put up my more detailed thoughts on the 4 cameras.

I have to say I was surprised by some of the video results, especially the night time footage....

:smile:

I think so - the description on that site leaves a little to be desired. I might drop them a mail to check.

I honestly think you'd regret the DVR 3. It would have similar quality to my dogcam set up (HQ2 and HQRII recorder), and I have upgraded to one of the cameras that I tested. Big difference in quality.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I honestly think you'd regret the DVR 3. It would have similar quality to my dogcam set up (HQ2 and HQRII recorder), and I have upgraded to one of the cameras that I tested. Big difference in quality.

Maybe what I want doesn't exist.

I like the quality of the Contour HD that I currently use. But it is a bit heavy, as it's all one unit.

So, I want a bullet cam that's small and light enough to mount on the arms of a pair of glasses. Realistically that means a cable to a separate recorder. That's fine.

The DVR 3 looked like it ticked that, but I don't want to lose too much quality over the Contour HD, and 720p doesn't guarantee good picture quality.

Does anyone have direct experience with the DVR3, or some sample footage?

Rezillo

TwoSheds
Hi Guys,

Came across this thread and just thought I'd mention that I will have comparative video from four cameras (POV.HD, Drift HD170, Contour GPS, and Dogcam Bullet HD on my blog by the end of the week.

By comparative, I mean that I wore all 4 cameras at the same time! Yes I did look like a complete plonker (I have a photo!). As this is coinciding with an article that I wrote for Cycle (CTC magazine) that will be out in a few days as well, I'll be waiting a further week before I put up my more detailed thoughts on the 4 cameras.

I have to say I was surprised by some of the video results, especially the night time footage....

:smile:

The Contour GPS had a firmware update last week that has dramatically improved its picture quality. There's still some minor colour balance to sort out but that should be fixed soon. I was doing some beta testing for this issue but a switch in my camera has broken, so back it goes to Contour (again) :sad:

John

The Contour GPS had a firmware update last week that has dramatically improved its picture quality. There's still some minor colour balance to sort out but that should be fixed soon. I was doing some beta testing for this issue but a switch in my camera has broken, so back it goes to Contour (again) :sad:

John

Yes I did the test before the recent improvements in the GPS.

I know you have used dashware (nice piece of software) however, I'm having a problem with it. I have some Contour GPS data that I recorded in Tall Hd mode (960p) and I want to add a speed dial. It all works fine except when I try to save it in HD mode it squashes the image (stretched horizontally). Do you have any idea if I can save it as 960p in the correct aspect ration on Dashware?

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Yes I did the test before the recent improvements in the GPS.

I know you have used dashware (nice piece of software) however, I'm having a problem with it. I have some Contour GPS data that I recorded in Tall Hd mode (960p) and I want to add a speed dial. It all works fine except when I try to save it in HD mode it squashes the image (stretched horizontally). Do you have any idea if I can save it as 960p in the correct aspect ration on Dashware?

I have the same problem :sad: i don't think it can save as 960p

Just done a bit of research - http://dashware.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=155
Lets register and badger them for it :biggrin:

Top Bottom