A good starter bike???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raindog

er.....
There's no price - depends how much it is.

Good grief, it's heavy though. Two kilos more than my 80s steel Italian bike.:sad:

Moodyman

Legendary Member
It's heavy though.

It may be for a road bike, but it's not as heavy as other bikes out there. My flat barred road bike, made of Tange Prestige Chromoly, is 16kg. Though around 1.6kg of this is the Alfine hub gear.

To be honest, unless you're racing, you won't notice the weight when rolling.

I've never seen that gearing before if I'm reading it right its a traditional 42/52 Double with a large 14-28 (7 speed) cassette. Unless you're fit you'll find the double and weight hard on hills but the large cassette might mitigate things. I also don't think the 14 will allow you a high enough gear to go fast, if you want that.

OP
OP
coco69

coco69

Veteran
I have been told that its just that i can get them both quite locally and if anything goes wrong i just take it back to them,its just i need to know which is the better one

coco69 said:
I have been told that its just that i can get them both quite locally and if anything goes wrong i just take it back to them,its just i need to know which is the better one
There's not much in IMO and if you don't want to go the 2nd hand route, all I can recommend is try before you buy and see which one you like the feel of best.

OP
OP
coco69

coco69

Veteran
Cut to the chase will they both fall to bits,my other bike a carrera virtuosso wasnt much dearer and was fine are they on a par with that

jay clock

Massive member
Reading between the lines, I would say NO to the Raleigh. It has a bolt on rear wheel, and the gear changers are levers on the centre of the bars.....

Look secondhand.

festival

Über Member
Both bikes are of poor quality and not good buys. Its hard to source anything worthwhile in road bike style for about £250 . The carrera tdf for £299 is about as good as you will get in terms of design,fit & quality. Although there are sometimes issues when dealing with some Halfords if your lucky you can get a deal.
Ask if they have anything reduced e.g. ex display, bits missing, slightly damaged etc. Due to how they operate they are often happy to clear stock if you haggle.

Top Bottom