A good sting by the Met Police

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
A slap on the wrist for the offenders and very few of the bikes will be reunited with their owners

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Excellent!

I always love it when they say "arrested on suspicion of handling stolen goods." Suppose they can't say things like bang to rights.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
A slap on the wrist for the offenders and very few of the bikes will be reunited with their owners
I wonder what if any efforts will be made in that direction. Few or none, I'd imagine. I'm guessing that without some kind of etched on number you'd likely be on a hiding to nothing.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I wonder what if any efforts will be made in that direction. Few or none, I'd imagine. I'm guessing that without some kind of etched on number you'd likely be on a hiding to nothing.

Hardly any according to a Met copper cycling chum of mine. As there is no central database for stolen bikes and most wont have been registered by their owners anyway.
So most of those bikes will go to auction.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Excellent!

I always love it when they say "arrested on suspicion of handling stolen goods." Suppose they can't say things like bang to rights.
I sort of enjoy some of the real police programs of tv but they wind me up as so many of the scrotes get away with either a let off or suspended sentence.
Same in this case I imagine.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite

Our local Police Force (Northumbria), recently uncovered a similar stash.

They "advertised" on Facebook for owners to come forward.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I sort of enjoy some of the real police programs of tv but they wind me up as so many of the scrotes get away with either a let off or suspended sentence.
Same in this case I imagine.

Same here. I often read in local press of characters who have hundreds of previous convictions, and, they are still "out", why?

Drago

Legendary Member
They did do that until redently in a nearby town. Unfortunately, my sources tell me the team was disbanded and the officers are all being investigated for flagrant violations of certain laws. Won't go into detail because i wouldn't want to imperil my source - suffice to the no bait bikes are being left about to snare the light fingered.

Hardly any according to a Met copper cycling chum of mine. As there is no central database for stolen bikes and most wont have been registered by their owners anyway.
So most of those bikes will go to auction.

When they go to auction, if the bikes rightful owner spots the bike with its “new owner”, in law where does this new owner stand? Is he/she still handling stolen goods and has to return said bike to the rightful owner or is it classed as abandoned and ownership given to the winning bidder?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
When they go to auction, if the bikes rightful owner spots the bike with its “new owner”, in law where does this new owner stand? Is he/she still handling stolen goods and has to return said bike to the rightful owner or is it classed as abandoned and ownership given to the winning bidder?

I'm guessing after a period of time they are classed as unclaimed.

I always feel let down by the words " fortunately no one was hurt in the crash". I would insert the word innocent or bystander.

Bike stings are the easiest stings to setup. Are bike fences exclusively for bikes or do they deal in all manner if stolen gear? Bikes are the entré to this underworld.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Also depends on what the original owner did after the theft - if they claimed on insurance then the insurers may have a claim on the bike but the original owner doesn't.

Kryton521

Über Member
There is actually a national database for your bike. £11 - £18 pound either a sticker or invisible marker, [don't hold me to that.] you bike is registered, Police Forces across the Country have access to it,
"Bike Register"

It costs very little to register your bike

but if you keep an eye out - local police may do it for free.
Cheshire Police helped a bike registering event near me - got mine done then legged it home and back with my wife's

for free

would have helped if they had put the stickers on straight - but maybe that is just me

but anyway - if you bike is stolen and it is not registered - whose fault is it if you don't get it back

In my opinion every biek shop should have a stack of leaflets advertising the Bike Register and should hand them out with every new bike

Top Bottom