A hill with a view - CC Ecosse 12 October 2013

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Wish I could fly, far away over mountains, high up over rivers.
Actually, no, not really: just wish I could ride up all the hills @Rasmus throws at me :laugh:
In this instance I lost the struggle, still the reward for attempting it was spectacular.
It all started at Ibrox Stadium in Glasgow, home of the infamous (as in famously relegated to the third division from the first) Glasgow Rangers FC, on a chilly Sunday morning.
A fitting place to wait for @jazloc who is in(famous) in his own right: the phantom CC Ecosse ride organizer!
True to his fame he never appeared, instead Rasmus, @mr messy and @Telemark bringer of cake (the latter all the way from Edinburgh), glided along on their bikes smiling happily, ready to start our wee adventure.
The official meeting point was about 5 miles further.
I had a back road route all loaded up in my Garmin which was immediately discarded with raised brows by our intrepid spontaneously elected new leader: "let's go this way, it's faster" ... pointing at the motorway-like main road. :eek:
20 roundabouts later, 4.7 miles in total and a failed attempt on Mr. Messy's life by a dozing Sunday morning driver, here we are, at the Xcape Braehead car park, a hub of activities for all the family and so on, sadly also the place where Mr. Messy left his cheer behind, transformed, superhero like, in Magnatom for the rest of the outing.
A few pictures:
The intrepid leader Intrepid leader.jpg The bringer of cake Bringer of cake.jpg The road warrior Road warrior.jpg

.... To be continued :biggrin:

Mo1959

Legendary Member
You appear to have Norah Batty in the 3rd picture :laugh:

Wish I could fly, far away over mountains, high up over rivers.
Actually, no, not really: just wish I could ride up all the hills @Rasmus throws at me :laugh:
In this instance I lost the struggle, still the reward for attempting it was spectacular.
It all started at Ibrox Stadium in Glasgow, home of the infamous (as in famously relegated to the third division from the first) Glasgow Rangers FC, on a chilly Sunday morning.
A fitting place to wait for @jazloc who is in(famous) in his own right: the phantom CC Ecosse ride organizer!
True to his fame he never appeared, instead Rasmus, @mr messy and @Telemark bringer of cake (the latter all the way from Edinburgh), glided along on their bikes smiling happily, ready to start our wee adventure.
The official meeting point was about 5 miles further.
I had a back road route all loaded up in my Garmin which was immediately discarded with raised brows by our intrepid spontaneously elected new leader: "let's go this way, it's faster" ... pointing at the motorway-like main road. :eek:
20 roundabouts later, 4.7 miles in total and a failed attempt on Mr. Messy's life by a dozing Sunday morning driver, here we are, at the Xcape Braehead car park, a hub of activities for all the family and so on, sadly also the place where Mr. Messy left his cheer behind, transformed, superhero like, in Magnatom for the rest of the outing.
A few pictures:
The intrepid leader View attachment 30779 The bringer of cake View attachment 30780 The road warrior View attachment 30781

.... To be continued :biggrin:

My apologies Pat :blush:, had spent the week putting the world to right and this was to be my seventh day for rest....sometimes even deities become mr grumpy :dry:.....hmmm maybe need to change my avatar....:tongue:

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
:popcorn: I'm certainly waiting to hear about a hill worth climbing,do come on Pat

OP
OP
Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Second installment of this fabulous adventure!
It is well known that miles fly by when you are in good company. Our ride was quite mellow, slowly leaving behind the chaos of shopping malls, concentrated living quarters, late Sunday morning brunch seekers.
Homes started to appear scattered, quaint flower gardens, twitchy net curtains blown by the light north pole wind hitting us in the face.
On turning into a side street towards the beckoning hills (mountains if one wants to tell it how it is!) Mr. Messy had his second incident of the day: escaped being doored by a split second, this by a woman trying to open her car's door from the outside!
Must have been the combination of white lycra leggings, black top and silent drive train, ensamble well known to render a cyclist invisible on a cloudy morning :whistle:
I was starting to feel quite relaxed: it all looked pretty flat to me till about 10 miles into the ride, when the alarming smell of country manure hit my nostrils.
After following Rasmus's route from Glasgow to Edinburgh (twice :becool:) I have started to associate country smells with hill gradients: in my experience, the stronger the smell, the steeper the hill that is awaiting the unguarded cyclist round the corner.
Suddenly, looking me straight in the eye, our fearless leader launches into a full Strava description of the climbs ahead. The easy bit is over till the return leg, there are 3 mountains ahead - small, large, medium in that order.
Why you telling me this, says I, better not to know ... Fearless leader says "so you don't moan after" ... in his wisdom he reflects upon it, utters the sage words "truth be said, you are better not told of this in future, as now you will moan before and after"
He is a wise, all knowing leader :biggrin:
Middle mountain was actually 3 hills rolled into one aztec pyramid style.
Here is a part of it, I simply had to stop midway to take a picture ... and a walk :laugh:

My hill.jpg Does not look much from near the top ... there was another equal serving before the actual summit :heat:
As usual on a CC Ecosse ride, the huffing and puffing was all forgotten and forgiven once the fantastic scenery revealed itself, a most beautiful view of the river Clyde from above. Many times I have cycled along that river, never thought one day I would (almost) cycle up to the mountains above.

Panorama.jpg

If you look carefully, you can just spot the home of @Mad Doug Biker below!

Behind us, this house:
IMAG0861.jpg

Soon we had company:
Horse.jpg IMAG0864.jpg Mr Messy gave Horsey a bunch of greener grass from the other side of the fence, it was devoured in one gulp!
Bye Horsey, bye top of the world, it is time to mount our steeds again and go. IMAG0862.jpg

To be continued :biggrin:

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
Suddenly, looking me straight in the eye, our fearless leader launches into a full Strava description of the climbs ahead. The easy bit is over till the return leg, there are 3 mountains ahead - small, large, medium in that order.
Why you telling me this, says I, better not to know ... Fearless leader says "so you don't moan after" ... in his wisdom he reflects upon it, utters the sage words "truth be said, you are better not told of this in future, as now you will moan before and after"
He is a wise, all knowing leader
Priceless, Pat!:rofl:

Now where is that 3rd installment ... I need my good night story NOW! ... or else ... I'll have to go to bed without one :cry:

T

Top Bottom