A hiss-tory of punctures

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RedRider

Pulling through
They come in threes don't they? One a day for the last three days.
On Saturday I don't know what caused it, I couldn't see anything which is always a worry but I put a new tube in anyway and it was fine.
Yesterday it was a stray frayed bit of brake cable picked up on the road that attached itself to the tyre for a few revolutions and wheedled it's way through the so-called puncture protection. I fitted a new tube and all was fine.
Today it was a dirty great chunk of glass and I didn't have a tube to fit. Close to home in the rain so I wheeled it back.
Tonight I fixed three tubes the old fashioned way with rubber solution. Quite satisfying.
But what is it with the threes?

Lonestar

Veteran
What tyres are you using? My last blowout was mysterious but I think it had more to do with the wheel than the road.Reminded me...got to switch wheels as im using it on Thursday.Had one on Jan 6 and last Saturday blowout with a bang.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RedRider

RedRider

Pulling through
The tyres are new panaracer paselas - I need gum walls on this bike! - properly pumped up and all that.
I'm going to put it down to bad luck lest I get another today in which case I'll assume they're cursed and I'll carry out some kind of ritual exorcism or buy something different.

The tyres are new panaracer paselas - I need gum walls on this bike! - properly pumped up and all that.
I'm going to put it down to bad luck lest I get another today in which case I'll assume they're cursed and I'll carry out some kind of ritual exorcism or buy something different.
Yeah, sometimes the p-fairy has a boner for you.

I had 3 punctures close together with an allegedly puncture-proof marathon-plus. Threw the thing angrily into the shed (I broke at least one tyre lever every time I changed M+ until I got park tools). New tyre fitted, no more problems. Months later, I refitted the M+ in an emergency, and had no more punctures until the tyre was so worn it was more blue than black, and then the flat was due to an imperfect patch failing on the tube, and nothing to do with the tyres.

e-rider

crappy member
had 3 in one ride last weekend, hadn't had one in over 12 months before that - urban roads, rain and hedgerow trimming massively increase the chances

OP
OP
RedRider

RedRider

Pulling through
Yeah, sometimes the p-fairy has a boner for you.

I had 3 punctures close together with an allegedly puncture-proof marathon-plus. Threw the thing angrily into the shed (I broke at least one tyre lever every time I changed M+ until I got park tools). New tyre fitted, no more problems. Months later, I refitted the M+ in an emergency, and had no more punctures until the tyre was so worn it was more blue than black, and then the flat was due to an imperfect patch failing on the tube, and nothing to do with the tyres.
Three m plus punctures so close together's a bit like Leicester winning at football. Improbable.
Happily no further visitations today so I'm ruling out voodoo for now.

had 3 in one ride last weekend, hadn't had one in over 12 months before that - urban roads, rain and hedgerow trimming massively increase the chances
That happened to me one ride and I only noticed the tiny split near the beed (bead?) of the tyre on the third fix. A crisp packet and hardly braking at all got me home. But yeah, all these recent punctures happened on urban roads and it was raining for the first time in a while yesterday. The stray bicycle brake cable the day before was a bit random tho.

Lonestar

Veteran
That's funny I hit a big chunk of metal tonight and was waiting for my back tyre to go down but I got back ok.Lots of suicide merchants around tonight though.Is it a fool moon?

Old jon

Guru
First hiss in 2300 miles yesterday pm. That's riding 700 x 25 Bontrager AW3 tyres fitted on 27/12/15. Last year, riding Panaracers nine hisses in 4800 miles.

Edit, oops, I looked at the kilometer figure. 3000 miles on the Panaracers.

OP
OP
RedRider

RedRider

Pulling through
First hiss in 2300 miles yesterday pm. That's riding 700 x 25 Bontrager AW3 tyres fitted on 27/12/15. Last year, riding Panaracers nine hisses in 4800 miles.

Edit, oops, I looked at the kilometer figure. 3000 miles on the Panaracers.
That's quite frequent. I'll see how these go but I'm also quite keen to try veloflex master for their ride quality and looks although I've been warned off in terms of their durability and tyre lever breaking personality

Old jon

Guru
That's quite frequent. I'll see how these go but I'm also quite keen to try veloflex master for their ride quality and looks although I've been warned off in terms of their durability and tyre lever breaking personality

Yup, very f frequent. I did not try to rationalise it, just fixed them and rode on . . .

goody

Veteran
Just replaced a worn out Durano Etape on the rear of my bike, I did most of the qualifying events and PBP last year and commuting this year I think it did about 12,000 km without a puncture.
Yes I know I'll probably get a punture tomorrow!

goody

Veteran
Yes, front one still looks almost like new except for a few little cuts. Rear one would still be going if not for a cut that grew and started to peel the tread from the carcass. According to srava I did 9,800 km last year and 4,700 this year except for week in Lanzarote (450km ish) all this years km were on that tyre, and most of last years. Maybe it's a hard compound tyre and not as grippy as some but I've not fallen off on this bike.
Probably going to get a puncture and fall off tomorrow now.

Top Bottom