A historic moment in my life...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
Watch it, Largs folk and Kilbirnie never mixed...:whistle:

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
Can you use your pass at anytime of day? I think there are time restrictions here - at least there used to be. I know people had to pay prior to 9am (or maybe 9.30am)

No restrictions on buses here as far as I know. They aren't very busy from my limited experience. Even at 7.30, I was the only passenger. Coming home on the 3.15pm, there was about 6 passengers, and looking at the ages of them, I doubt if ANY of us were paying 🤔.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
No restrictions on buses here as far as I know. They aren't very busy from my limited experience. Even at 7.30, I was the only passenger. Coming home on the 3.15pm, there was about 6 passengers, and looking at the ages of them, I doubt if ANY of us were paying 🤔.

Correct.

No time or day restrictions although it won’t be accepted on premium fare night buses or those City Sightseeing buses. https://www.transport.gov.scot/concessionary-travel/60plus-or-disabled/#37406
Concessionary travel is not available for tours, excursions, night services or other special services where a premium rate is charged.
It also gets you concessionary fares on the train but there are restrictions. All journeys must start and end within the Strathclyde boundary. https://www.spt.co.uk/tickets/concessions/

To qualify for the concessionary fare, all concessionary rail journeys have to start and end at a station inside the Strathclyde scheme’s boundaries.
A valid ticket must be purchased which covers the entire journey length for the trip which is being made i.e. origin station to final destination station.
Holders of National Entitlement Cards for persons aged 60 or over cannot take advantage of the scheme on rail services between 06:00 and 09:00 or between 16:30 and 18:00hrs on weekdays (see exemptions below).
Exemptions:
There is no peak time restriction for people holding a National Entitlement Card for people with disabilities.
There is no peak time restriction at weekends or on national public holidays.

46DF98C1-BDDB-4270-A95F-E987C0F4CE6F.jpeg

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Watch it, Largs folk and Kilbirnie never mixed...:whistle:

Never liked Largs since my van with a load of silver jewellery among other things had the passenger window smashed by a couple of hoodlums. Not sure what they were after as the radio was bog standard and cheap and the contents invisible.
Fortunately I was asleep inside and they ran for it but probably also fortunately I had no shoes on to chase the b---s.:angry: Had to get the glass repairers out at 2 o'clock in the morning to fix it after driving to Hillington with no nearside visibility due to the poly bag I had to put over the aperture.

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
Never liked Largs since my van with a load of silver jewellery among other things had the passenger window smashed by a couple of hoodlums. Not sure what they were after as the radio was bog standard and cheap and the contents invisible.
Fortunately I was asleep inside and they ran for it but probably also fortunately I had no shoes on to chase the b---s.:angry: Had to get the glass repairers out at 2 o'clock in the morning to fix it after driving to Hillington with no nearside visibility due to the poly bag I had to put over the aperture.

It headed downhill after I left in '77..
as you see it now lets neds like @Brandane in:whistle:

I went down for the day in July 71 and came home 6 years later plus I met the Missus down there so it has a lot to answer for.

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member

Did this incident happen between 1971 and 1977? There were problems at that time in these parts with undesireables from the Port Glasgow area moving in with the local ladies and forgetting to go home!

Is there any significance in the fact the bus is going to the crematorium?

I wondered that as well.

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
I wonder why a bus in Paisley would have a Birmingham number plate? Perhaps they buy our old buses when they reach the end of their working life here?

Quite possibly. I thought it was quite a modern bus until I noticed the "64" plate, making it 8 years old. Another sign of old age when 8 years old is modern!
When down south in that there London, I notice that a lot of the buses have registration numbers beginning with S, denoting that they were registered in a far nicer area of the British Isles, to the north of Carlisle. New buses too. Is it because they are manufactured by Alexander Dennis in Falkirk, and registered before they leave?

Top Bottom