A historic moment in my life...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I wondered that, but didn't want to say anything.
I was going to remark on the crematorium destination, but got beaten to it by many :laugh:

All uphill

Still rolling along
No restrictions on buses here as far as I know. They aren't very busy from my limited experience. Even at 7.30, I was the only passenger. Coming home on the 3.15pm, there was about 6 passengers, and looking at the ages of them, I doubt if ANY of us were paying 🤔.

Out at 0730?
Back at 3.15?

How did you get your obligatory old geezer afternoon nap?
Did you remember to video "Countdown"?

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
Out at 0730?
Back at 3.15?

How did you get your obligatory old geezer afternoon nap?
Did you remember to video "Countdown"?

Today was an exceptionally long shift at work :laugh: but I was able to cope as I spent most of it sitting relaxing on a barge on the Forth and Clyde canal near Kirkintilloch. I will of course need an early night now, having missed my siesta!

stephec

Legendary Member
@Brandane and his mates taking advantage of their bus passes and having a trip into town. 😂

Sg2e7.PNG.png

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Did this incident happen between 1971 and 1977? There were problems at that time in these parts with undesireables from the Port Glasgow area moving in with the local ladies and forgetting to go home!

Late 1980s it would have been and they were local I think. Police said they saw them running through the bus station as tho' all the devils of hell were after them.:ohmy:
They were sitting in their car at the time so even if so inclined would not have been able to stop them and ask why the hurry.
I worked on a farm above the Port in 1955/56 and we used to go to dances sometimes in Greenock where the shipyard lads could get a but rowdy. My co-worker was a bit forward with the ladies and their boyfriends tended to take offence.:angry:

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
Did this incident happen between 1971 and 1977? There were problems at that time in these parts with undesireables from the Port Glasgow area moving in with the local ladies and forgetting to go home!
Eh, I lived in the salubrious suburb of Greenock that was Gibshill in '71
Today was an exceptionally long shift at work :laugh: but I was able to cope as I spent most of it sitting relaxing on a barge on the Forth and Clyde canal near Kirkintilloch. I will of course need an early night now, having missed my siesta!
Wow, close one, I headed eastwards along the canal bank yesterday
Late 1980s it would have been and they were local I think. Police said they saw them running through the bus station as tho' all the devils of hell were after them.:ohmy:
They were sitting in their car at the time so even if so inclined would not have been able to stop them and ask why the hurry.
I worked on a farm above the Port in 1955/56 and we used to go to dances sometimes in Greenock where the shipyard lads could get a but rowdy. My co-worker was a bit forward with the ladies and their boyfriends tended to take offence.:angry:

Having been a Portonian (I'm a branch of the Green Oak Tree) for almost 40 years, nothing wrong with the Dirty Wee Port..
well maybe.

bruce1530

Guru
tea dances have certain nudge nudge reputation in some parts - and to think that the taxpayer is paying for all this senior debauchery.

Never heard that one before... and my band has been asked to play at various tea dances over the years! We've always had to say no, cos it was always when one of us was at work. Maybe we should have gone along.

Petrichorwheels

Never heard that one before... and my band has been asked to play at various tea dances over the years! We've always had to say no, cos it was always when one of us was at work. Maybe we should have gone along.

Donkeys years ago I used to often go to press conferences at the waldorf astoria in London. Sometimes as we left, often a bit late after a few extra brandies, the Tea Dance would be starting up in mid afternoon. One or two of my older hack companions made comments which i didn't entirely understand.
More recently all fell into place - was reading a book by an old welsh journalist - Bryon Rogers - sitting innocently at his desk on fleet street he kept getting positively obscene letters from women of a certain age celebrating their post tea dance exercises/their mojo shunted into overdrive. Turned out some bloke cruising these questionable events had been pretending to be him.
You maybe swerved one there. May not have got out alive.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Eh, I lived in the salubrious suburb of Greenock that was Gibshill in '71

Wow, close one, I headed eastwards along the canal bank yesterday

Having been a Portonian (I'm a branch of the Green Oak Tree) for almost 40 years, nothing wrong with the Dirty Wee Port..
well maybe.

I hope you were not the guy on the Brae just up from the Ropeworks who kept hens at the top of a flight of steps. Two of us were sent to deliver a ton of oats in one cwt sacks which we had to carry up hundreds of steps to his store. Miserable B---d did not even give us a tip for our labour.:ohmy:

Top Bottom