A home made (machine) bread question.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Nooooo, don't do that! :ohmy:

Too much sugar and yeast will equal to a crumbly, beery-tasting loaf.
No is doesn't

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Adding vitamin C to wholemeal bread (I think 1/4 teaspoon suffices) transforms the rise. You can buy big jars of it at eg Holland Barret

Reactions: JtB

stephec

Legendary Member
Dave, next time this happens could you post a picture of the loaf next to the pan?

One other thing, is the recipe from your bread machine manual?

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
Adding vitamin C to wholemeal bread (I think 1/4 teaspoon suffices) transforms the rise. You can buy big jars of it at eg Holland Barret
Yeap, if it’s more than 50% wholemeal then you need to add vitamin C. The following is 50:50 strong white to strong wholemeal with no vitamin C added.
A1367D55-D269-481B-8586-89223199976D.jpeg

Tenkaykev

Guru
Yeap, if it’s more than 50% wholemeal then you need to add vitamin C. The following is 50:50 strong white to strong wholemeal with no vitamin C added.
View attachment 584157

Could you advise the best place to purchase Ascorbic Acid powder?
I popped to the shops earlier but the only place I could find it was a Wholefoods shop. It was on the shelf with the Vitamins and supplements. A 250g tub had a price label of £36! 😮😮

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller

Tenkaykev

Guru

I went in to Holland and Barrett and asked if they sold Ascorbic acid powder, to which the answer was "no". I also asked if they sold vitamin C powder in case they didn't know that it was the same thing. Again the answer was "no"
Strange! Anyway I've looked on Amazon and there's a lot to choose from. ( I like to shop locally but occasionally Amazon is the better option, especially as I have "Prime" )

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
1. Are you following the measurements of the bread maker?
2. What yeast are you using? If using dried yeast, I find Allison's Easy Bake, the better yeast if I use my bread maker.
Yep.....following the instructions.
Re which yeast......just used the last but think it was an own brand.
This one was a fresh sachet of Allisons.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Yep.....following the instructions.
Re which yeast......just used the last but think it was an own brand.
This one was a fresh sachet of Allisons.
Allisons Easy Bake or Dried Active? For some reason, the latter has always failed in my bread machine and it has always failed for a colleague who uses a bread machine.

The easy bake yeast is meant for use in bread machines, as you just mix it in with the flour and off you go.

Dried active is best for making bread by hand. You need to activate it in water and wait till it starts really bubbling up prior to use.

Top Bottom