A knocking noise coming from my freewheel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wester

Guru
I have just fitted a freewheel not a new one but as good as a new one to my bike and when I pedal there is a loud knocking annoying sound comes from it when I have it in a high gear it is ok when I have it in a low gear . Is it something that will go away after a while or is it something that I will have to get sorted out myself

3narf

For whom the bell dings
Hi, are we talking screw-on cassette freewheel or a new cassette on a splined freehub? ie freewheel built into the hub?

3narf

For whom the bell dings
Hmm... you wouldn't expect a noise when pedalling as the freewheel is effectively locked up! Are you certain it's coming from the back hub/freewheel area?

rrarider

Veteran
If the new freewheel has a smaller high gear sprocket than the original one, perhaps it's a stiff link in the chain making a clunk as it straightens up coming off the sprocket.

Fenrider

Is't far you ride?
It may be caused by a rocking movement brought about by too much play in the freewheel. To check for play, with the chain on the smallest rear cog, put a finger tip on top of the biggest rear cog and see if the freewheel rocks from side to side. It can be fixed by removing an internal shim, which then tightens up the assembly so as not to permit the rocking.
On the road you may find that there's a 'sweet spot' where the rocking is less pronounced or even absent. To find it, freewheel a moment to allow the internal rachets to engage with different internal teeth, then resume pedalling. It won't fix the underlying problem, but it may make the ride less irritating!

overmind

My other bike is a Pinarello
Could it be caused by the limit screw on the rear derailleur needing a minor adjustment?
(edit: and/or tweaking the barrel adjuster on the rear derailleur)

gom

Über Member
If you’re using the “old” chain they may not be worn in together and so not fit well. I think this is usually new chain + old cogs, so the chain rides up a worn tooth under pressure and then drops back with a spectacular clunk.
However this seems unlikely to be the case. I suppose this is one of those noises that only happens when you are riding.

OP
OP
Wester

Wester

Guru
If you’re using the “old” chain they may not be worn in together and so not fit well. I think this is usually new chain + old cogs, so the chain rides up a worn tooth under pressure and then drops back with a spectacular clunk.
However this seems unlikely to be the case. I suppose this is one of those noises that only happens when you are riding.

I guess it is new chain + old cogs as I have also fitted a new chain if this is the problem will go after a while ?

Top Bottom