A Lesson Worth Learning!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

400bhp

Guru
Might have to ask for a multi tool that contains a chain tool for birthday/xmas. Currently I have separate tools.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Might have to ask for a multi tool that contains a chain tool for birthday/xmas. Currently I have separate tools.

Crank Bros !

OP
OP
Des of Anerley BC
My broken chain was also a 9 speed KMC, and it was also a broken side plate. At the time the bike was fairly new and hence low mileage. I replaced it with a SRAM chain (which I always use when replacing chains) and in over 10 years of regular club cycling/touring have never had another chain problem.

OP
OP
Des of Anerley BC
My broken chain was also a 9 speed KMC chain, and also a broken side plate. At the time this was a newish bike with very little mileage. I always use SRAM chains as replacements and in over 10 years of regular cycling have never had a chain problem, except for the newish KMC.

tyred

Legendary Member
Thanks Des,

I now always carry 'NHS' hygiene gloves rather than plastic bags. They take no space, cost virtually nothing, are easier to handle tools and proven by both Ewa & Louise (the same one!) had no need of a nail bar post-puncture ... essential for the well groomed cyclist with white tape.

Take a small plastic container like a 35mm film container and fill it with Swarfega:thumbsup:

boydj

Legendary Member
+1. My multi tool has a chain tool built in that works well, and I always carry a one of THESE

The joining link is an important part of the equation - make sure you carry the correct one for your chain. I've had two snap on the commuter - and the chains on that bike are replaced every 1000 - 1200 miles. The magic link makes it a 5 minute job to get going again.

LouiseL

Many thanks for the instructions Des. Much appreciated. Chain tool and power links have been ordered! Almost guaranteed never to need them now but better safe than sorry!
On the topic of rubber gloves they also do a great job of keeping your proper gloves dry if you wear them over your gloves in the rain. I have very small hands and most disposable gloves are way too big for me but fit nicely over other gloves. This top tip was discovered in desperation on an extremely wet and windy ride back from Hull with mmmmartin.

Top Bottom