A Lesson Worth Learning!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
One small tool that you should learn to use, and carry with you is a chain tool. At some time it will save you a long walk home!
I wrote this item for our bike club web site but I think it deserves a wider audience so have copied it here.

link.bmp

During this Sunday's bike ride the subject of broken/damaged chains was a topic of discussion at the lunch stop.
The subject arose because on a recent Audax ride Louise had a problem when her chain kept jumping off. On examination it was found that a chain link had been bent, presumably when her bike was in transit on the train to her start point. The problem could have been easily resolved if Louise had been in possesion of a chain rivet extactor tool. Without it she had to struggle around a hilly Welsh bike ride with severe limitations on the use of her gears, which meant walking up many if the hills. But it could have been worse. If the chain had broken she would have had to walk a lot further!
During my time in the Anerley Bicycle Club, I had a chain break going up Flower Lane towards Marden Park. Yoshi had a chain break near Henfold Lakes and Jack had a break at Chartwell. Graham was another to suffer with chain woes. On each occasion we would have had a long walk home because none of us had a chain rivet extractor tool. But fortunately John Turnbull did!
He always carries one as part of a mini-multi tool and I have learned from his example. A small investment in a chain tool will at sometime save you a lot of hassle and a long walk home.

chain-tool.jpg

However, owning and carrying a chain tool is not a lot of use unless you know how to use it! Whilst working on a chain is very messy, a chain problem is normally very easy to fix. Further down is a link to show how to use a chain tool, but first a bit more about another chain problem. Fortunatly rare, but Brian suffered this problem only last week, and his was the third of which I am aware of. So it could happen to you!

rear-d.jpg
This problem is the loss of a jockey wheel from the rear derailleur. The jockey wheels are mounted on an axle which is screwed into the derailleur cage. (see photo above) The problem occurs when the bolt unscrews and drops out. Brian was lucky in that searching the road he found both the missing jockey wheel and the axle bolt, so with the appropriate sized Allen Key he was able to screw all the bits back together. On another occasion it was John T whose jockey wheel dropped out when we were returning from a tea stop at High Elms. An extensive search by all the Anerley club members present did not find either the jockey wheel or bolt. Without the jockey wheel to tension the chain, it was much too loose to ride the bike. However John's multi tool resolved the problem. By shortening the chain it was at least possible to ride home.
To avoid this problem, at least occassionaly, check with an Allen key that the axle bolts are tight. There are 2 jockey wheels and hence 2 bolts to check!

Fortunately damage to chains, breakages, or loss of jockey wheels are rare, but when they do occur they are terminal without the little and simple to use tool required to fix the problem. This link will take you to a good video showing how to use a chain tool. http://www.pinkbike.com/news/tech-tuesday-fixing-chain-2010.html.
It is followed by photos and a simple instructional guide. In this DIY guide a small multi tool is used which includes the all important chain tool. See photo below, taken from this web site.

Chain.jpg

This item was originally written for our club web site at http://anerleybc.org/

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Never in 26 years of cycling with road bikes and MTB's have I ever had a chain snap. That said I am OCD in keeping them in good condition.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Recently read sensible advice to carry one or two of those very thin supermarket help-your-self plastic bags in a jersey pocket. Use to prevent filthy hands when attending to your chain. Nothing worse than black gunk all over your hoods and bar tape.

StuartG

slower but further
Thanks Des,

I now always carry 'NHS' hygiene gloves rather than plastic bags. They take no space, cost virtually nothing, are easier to handle tools and proven by both Ewa & Louise (the same one!) had no need of a nail bar post-puncture ... essential for the well groomed cyclist with white tape.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I do carry a very good multi tool which has a chain tool and a spoke key, mainly as folk of forums made me paraniod ;) , and just in case someone else needed it. I have used the spoke key on one forum ride.

I've only ever once called the team car out and that was for an exploded rim. Bit tricky carrying one of them.

400bhp

Guru
I class it as a catastrophe risk. The chance of it happening is very small but the consequence is very large - pretty much renders your bike useless.

I don't carry a chain tool on commutes, but do on rides where I will be a long way from home.

I've had a chain snap once, but only one side of the line snapped and so I managed to soldier home (noticed it about 5 miles from home).

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Always have one, used it twice. Both times on utility trips too (I guess my distance bikes are probably kept in better shape). Neither time did I have a chain snap- busted rear mech required roadside S/S conversion.

smokeysmoo

Legendary Member
+1. My multi tool has a chain tool built in that works well, and I always carry a one of THESE

The only time I've had a chain snap was when I'd naively reconnected a 10 speed chain with the same pin I'd removed. Just don't do it!

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
I have never seen a quick-link on any road bike I've bought, but my MTB has the SRAM version fitted - any reason for this?

I've been cycling for about 18 months, and had my first broken chain on Saturday evening - just before the Etape Caledonia. I was on my 3rd chain in that time, changing them at about 1800-2000 miles. KMC 9 speed chain. I went on a short run to try some of the route and the chain seemed to be slipping on the way back. I checked it and one of the side plates was snapped, with another two showing some cracking. Fortunately the bike shop was open at 7pm on a Saturday evening, to cater for all of the cycling crowd, and sold me a new Sram chain.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Never in 26 years of cycling with road bikes and MTB's have I ever had a chain snap. That said I am OCD in keeping them in good condition.
A friend of mine broke the chain on a new MTB in Scotland last summer. We were half way round the side of Loch Etive and it would have been a very long walk back to the van. She was extremely light and riding slowly on the flat so it didn't snap due to abuse, wear or neglect. In fact, when I examined the chain, I saw that one of the plates had split across the middle. It was quite clearly a manufacturing defect. Fortunately, I had my multitool with me and used its chain tool to fix the chain.

Dan B

Disengaged member
Only ever snapped a chain on a brox compact, carrying about 70kg. Foolishly the toolkit didn't at the time include a chaintool (this omission was since rectified) but I managed to effect a temporary fix with an adjustable spanner and a flat blade screwdriver.

Carrying a chain tool and knowing how to use it is the only 100% certain insurance against a chain ever breaking - it's worked so far for my bike, although I have been able to help others out :whistle:

Top Bottom