A little advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I used to ride a specialized mountain bike, then had a lay off of about 8 years for business reasons. Bought a road bike on my 40th (mid-life crisis??!!). I found the transition no problem at all, so don't worry about it. Sitting on a road bike felt very similar, just I guess, not as robust. I had the same problems as when I started mountain biking, sore bum and hands (goes away after a while), and aching legs (surprise, surprise!). The only issue I had was with a couple of clipless moments as I had flat pedals on the mountain bike, minor embarrassment and bruised pride, but not happened since. Seriously though, a bike is a bike so don't worry about the crossover, or having not ridden for some time, you will know how a certain bike feels fairly quickly.

OP
OP
SHornswaggle

SHornswaggle

Harden the ____ up
Actually that has been my main concern. I keep thinking that within seconds of sitting on the bike I will wobble and fall off before even putting a foot on the pedal lol. It's really good to know that someone else has been through this too. Thank you :smile:

Peteaud

Veteran
I ride both MTB and Road and switch between the 2 with no problems.

As to value, you buy a bike to ride it, not for resale. Yes you can think about what if, but buy the right bike and ride it for years. A good frame can take future upgrades of wheels etc.

OP
OP
SHornswaggle

SHornswaggle

Harden the ____ up
Yes that makes sense too. I don't want something that I can keep for a good few years and keep loving and getting the same enjoyment daily.

Hey, this is funny, I also gave up smoking (like Peteaud) and exactly 10months, 3 weeks and 4 days ago!! I can honestly say that I was struggling until I took up cycling again. Since then I love being on the bike, and improving my fitness so much that I would never touch another cigarette, no matter how tempting.

OP
OP
SHornswaggle

SHornswaggle

Harden the ____ up
I didn't used to smoke when I was cycling so hopefully this will be a good incentive to give up again - well done you for giving up though. It is certainly worth it :smile:

Top Bottom