A little advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
SHornswaggle

SHornswaggle

Harden the ____ up
So how is the best way to find the right bike for me? If it is to 'have a little ride whilst at the shop' I really am stuffed because it's been so long since getting on a road bike. I wouldn't have these concerns if looking at a mountain bike due to the thickness of tyres etc.

I really appreciate this advice though and it is making me look at things slightly differently. :smile:

OP
OP
SHornswaggle

SHornswaggle

Harden the ____ up
The domane starts from about £1k for the ally version

I think you should try the roubaix and the domane and see which fits

Yes I will have to find the right shop and sit in a few. I do like the look of both actually - I have a feeling that I will end up saving up even more money lol

Lee_M

Guru
So how is the best way to find the right bike for me? If it is to 'have a little ride whilst at the shop' I really am stuffed because it's been so long since getting on a road bike. I wouldn't have these concerns if looking at a mountain bike due to the thickness of tyres etc.

I really appreciate this advice though and it is making me look at things slightly differently. :smile:

It depends how big you are, if you fit e more regular sizes then any decent shop should let you have a test ride, but try a few and don't be rushed. The narrow wheels and sharp steering will probably worry yo for about 5 minutes after that you'll forget

In my case there are few shops that stock my size but even so I could tell the difference between the ride on different bikes

Either way, trek or specialized or something else, there are plenty of roubaix/grand fondo/cobble classic versions that should give you what you're looking for

simon.r

Person

Suggestion - rather than blow your budget on your first bike, buy a cheaper bike (say £300 - £400), ride it and decide what you like / don't like about it. Then, with the knowledge gained, start looking at better, more expensive bikes. Either sell the first bike or keep it as a hack and use the new bike for 'best'.

OP
OP
SHornswaggle

SHornswaggle

Harden the ____ up
I'm 5ft 10" with 34" legs I know that I can't get a measurement online but I am hoping that the bikes I am considering will kinda fit - otherwise it will mean another hunt.

OP
OP
SHornswaggle

SHornswaggle

Harden the ____ up
I thought about buying a cheaper bike to play around with. I also thought that half of my motivation is because I have missed cycling soooo much. The other half is that I want to really get to know the bike and gel with it. I'm hoping that within a month or two of getting it that I will be able to get back into long distance and time trialling against myself.

Suggestion - rather than blow your budget on your first bike, buy a cheaper bike (say £300 - £400), ride it and decide what you like / don't like about it. Then, with the knowledge gained, start looking at better, more expensive bikes. Either sell the first bike or keep it as a hack and use the new bike for 'best'.
+1
Or a second hand roadie - doesn't need to be great. Just getting a feel for the handling, setup, and tyres so that you know what you don't like ..... and then when you try the bike that's been made for you, you'll recognise her immediately. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
SHornswaggle

SHornswaggle

Harden the ____ up
I hadn't thought of that. My old bike I paid about £1,500 for and a few years later it was worth about £300 and that surprised me actually how quickly bikes lost their value especially when they are still as good as new

paulw1969

Ridley rider
i started riding again after a 20 plus year layoff........last bike i had was a ATB......went straight onto a touring road bike, no problems....took me a morning to get used to the bettter response.....you will have no problems i assure you, there is nothing to be concerned over.
I believe the geometry between touring and out and out race bike is slightly different which leads to the rider position on a tourer being slightly more upright as apposed to having your ar$e in the air with a more aggressive race style...(i'm sure someone will correct me if i'm wrong :smile:) ..having said that i am sure there is crossover between brands and even models within brands in regards to "touring" and "race".

I have heard that Giant make Alli frames for Trek and other big names.:whistle:

simon.r

Person
I hadn't thought of that. My old bike I paid about £1,500 for and a few years later it was worth about £300 and that surprised me actually how quickly bikes lost their value especially when they are still as good as new

True, but I reckon cheap bikes devalue less (in percentage and money terms) than expensive bikes.

Top Bottom