A little bit of help please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Godfarmer

Hi all,

I don't know my arse from my elbow as far as bikes are concerned. Despite this I've agreed to do a 250 odd mile cycling 'holiday' this summer around East Anglia, averaging about 60 miles a day.
I'm confident I can't do this (particularly as my friends are pretty accomplished cyclists) on my old mountain bike, so I'd like to buy a Hybrid/Road bike that can have pannier bags on. I think I can do up to about £800 on this. My local shop has a very enthusiastic chap running it and he's primarily selling Merida bikes.
I was hoping that someone could advice me if this is a decent enough make? and if not what would you recommend.

Cheers

Alan Whicker

Merida are a well respected brand. They also make (or made) Carrera frames for Halfords and I think frames for Specialized and Giant. They seem to be quite rare here in London though. You've got a huge amount of choice for £800!

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Alan's spot on.

Merida are the world's second biggest bike company after Giant. They make bikes for the more stylised brands and made Halfords (respected) Carrera brands for a while.

At £800, you will have plenty of choices so go out there and try a few out.

The Merida S'Presso i8 was on my shortlist when I was looking for a fast, low-maintenance commuter bike.

£800 will get you a very nice hybrid, but if it is not properly prepared by a decent bike shop it will soon be wrecked. Make sure your bike is well set-up with correctly adjusted (and greased) bearings - get your experienced pals to check out your machine - and it will last for ages.

You ought to be able to manage 60 miles a day without too much trouble, and I hope you enjoy my part of the world.

Top Bottom