A little inspiration, especially for the ladies....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Proto

Legendary Member
Haha, two of my daughters are riding this. Incredible terrain, empty, magnificent, beautiful.

One is having bike issues and this morning an incredibly kind local is taking her and bike to the nearest bike shop for repairs (gears not functioning correctly, suspect bent hanger).

T’other one rode yesterday a 40km climb, off road, up to 2000m. Think it took it over 4 hours. She did admit to ‘having a brush with hypothermia’ but survived. 🤣

You can check out some of their photos on Insta:

Robyn : https://instagram.com/stories/b_o_b...ource=ig_story_item_share&igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Rose : https://instagram.com/stories/roseo...ource=ig_story_item_share&igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Fabulous photos here : https://instagram.com/stories/weron...ource=ig_story_item_share&igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Last edited:

Proto

Legendary Member
Bit of a disaster. Younger daughter seems to have trashed her rear derailleur, hit a big rock, chin wrapped around cranks and now there's insufficient tension in the jockey wheels to keep the chain in place. New mech probably, but finding a suitable one (1x11 Sram) locally is tricky.

Eldest daughter was dropped off at the bike shop somewhere (Teruel?) and they sorted her gears for her, just adjustment, I think. And sold her a GX SRAM rear mech which 'may' sort out her sister's gear issues, but I'm dubious. It's 2x11 and for a MTB, and I think the cable pull per shift is different from road shifters.

As I said before they left, it's only an adventure if something goes wrong. Otherwise it's just a bike ride.

Youngest daughter desperately needs a decent gravel bike. She's using her Trek Boone CX bike and it's pushed beyond its limits. Tyres too narrow, and gears a bit of a mish mash.

OP
OP
HobbesOnTour
For anyone interested..... An update
https://www.diariodeteruel.es/depor...ias-reune-a-la-crema-del-bikepacking-femenino

It's in Spanish (from the local paper) but I'm sure Google will give the gist of it

That route was put together pretty much by one guy and is bringing a steady stream of cyclists to an otherwise pretty deserted area. Locals are excited and happy to get involved and help.

A really good example of what can be done with a bit of drive.

For anyone on Facebook who is interested
Montañas Vacias Riders Group is the main source of info.

Bit of a disaster. Younger daughter seems to have trashed her rear derailleur, hit a big rock, chin wrapped around cranks and now there's insufficient tension in the jockey wheels to keep the chain in place. New mech probably, but finding a suitable one (1x11 Sram) locally is tricky.

Eldest daughter was dropped off at the bike shop somewhere (Teruel?) and they sorted her gears for her, just adjustment, I think. And sold her a GX SRAM rear mech which 'may' sort out her sister's gear issues, but I'm dubious. It's 2x11 and for a MTB, and I think the cable pull per shift is different from road shifters.

As I said before they left, it's only an adventure if something goes wrong. Otherwise it's just a bike ride.

Youngest daughter desperately needs a decent gravel bike. She's using her Trek Boone CX bike and it's pushed beyond its limits. Tyres too narrow, and gears a bit of a mish mash.

You can often replace 700c disc cx wheels with 27.5/650b to use fatter tyres within same outer diameter.

Proto

Legendary Member

Ha, daughter #1 made an appearance at 1:03, second rider in shot. So proud of her, she’s a relative newbie and was way out of her comfort zone.

Possibly my favourite photo from the MV, the shear joy, such a great face, love it:

53725AF5-0206-49DA-9B8A-98698656B0B6.jpeg

Attachments

• 865FAEBE-8F03-4404-A00E-3FD05AD89768.jpeg
    865FAEBE-8F03-4404-A00E-3FD05AD89768.jpeg
    104.2 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
OP
OP
HobbesOnTour
Something completely different.....
A short 5 day tour along the Eerie canal (USA)by a very relaxed woman on her first solo tour.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilcauuyiQ3s

rivers

How far can I go?
Ha, daughter #1 made an appearance at 1:03, second rider in shot. So proud of her, she’s a relative newbie and was way out of her comfort zone.

Possibly my favourite photo from the MV, the shear joy, such a great face, love it:

View attachment 644917

Was she in a YouTube series recently-ish? Some epic off-road contest in Vermont I think

Proto

Legendary Member
Was she in a YouTube series recently-ish? Some epic off-road contest in Vermont I think

I think that was daughter #1 in the film but daughter #2 also rode Montanas Vacias.

Amazingly #2 was in Vermont when that race took place but she wasn’t partaking. Suspect she might have done got her act together earlier.

She’d been staying with a pal in Maine and then bikepacked to New Orleans, mostly down the Appalachian Trail. Said the US got weirder the further south she went, especially Mississippi and Louisiana! She’s somewhere in Mexico now, visited a friend in Mexico City then headed further south. Flying home from San Diego in February.

Last edited:

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I think that was daughter #1 in the film but daughter #2 also rode Montanas Vacias.

Amazingly #2 was in Vermont when that race took place but she wasn’t partaking. Suspect she might have done got her act together earlier.

She’d been staying with a pal in Maine and then bikepacked to New Orleans, mostly down the Appalachian Trail. Said the US got weirder the further south she went, especially Mississippi and Louisiana! She’s somewhere in Mexico now, visited a friend in Mexico City then headed further south. Flying home from San Diego in February.

Your daughters are remarkable.

Proto

Legendary Member
Your daughters are remarkable.
Not really. They are lucky enough to be able to take up opportunities when they come along.

I've got another one, the youngest! Less adventurous on two wheels than her sisters, she limits herself to cycling each morning at 7.30 to Bristol Royal Infirmary even when it's -4°C. Very proud of them all.

BTW, that's not my daughter above, the one with the carbon fibre arm. She's an American, Josie Fouts, who also rode the Montanas Vacias.

Last edited:
OP
OP
HobbesOnTour
That looks amazing. Do they do an easier one for blokes? That one looks a bit much tbh.

It's a pretty special part of the world, alright.

The "route" has been put together by a local backed by a team of volunteers and there are numerous variations of it of various lengths and even an on-road version.

Apart from the terrain, the weather is a huge factor but probably the biggest challenge can be the isolation - this is one of Europe's least populated areas.

It is a great example of what a few dedicated people can create. There are people travelling from all over the world to take on the challenge.

Top Bottom