England : Cheshire A long(ish), slow(ish), flat(tish) Cheshire ride - Sat, 4th June 2016

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Success! I've managed to load Colin's gpx file of Saturday's route on to my Garmin 200. So I reckon we are now well covered between us with copies of the route. Thanks all for the tips.

Wobblers

Euthermic
I'm a probable for this - though it is dependent on my knee. (I may have overdone it somewhat over the weekend, but it was sunny! And warm! In Scotland!)

Kelsall is looking like the most logical spot to join - have you an idea of what sort of time you'd pass through there?

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'm a probable for this - though it is dependent on my knee. (I may have overdone it somewhat over the weekend, but it was sunny! And warm! In Scotland!)

Kelsall is looking like the most logical spot to join - have you an idea of what sort of time you'd pass through there?
Good man!

At a very rough guess - 10:15? That would mean doing about 14 mph average from the start. We could be a bit slower than that or even a bit quicker. I don't think it would be much sooner than 10:00 and hopefully not later than 10:30, but any mechanical problems could cause delays.

I'm going to have to pass, unfortunately. Still feeling ropey, but hope you all have a good one and the weather looks good as well.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
I'm glad the weather forecast is warm and dry for Saturday. I've just come back from 4 days down south (Herts) at my son's, It's either been perishing (strong easterly and then northerly winds) or very wet - or both!
Been in London for three days and I was fed up with the cold wind and heavy rain on Tuesday ! Glad I'm back in the sunny and warm North

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Thanks but the "soon" part was a long time ago :-(
Hmm, yes, I remembered while I was out on my bike earlier - sorry. :blush: Be as well as you can be, as often as you can be, for as long as you can be! :okay:

BTW - while I was out on that ride I rode over the smallest of bumps and heard a sharp cracking sound penetrating the noise of the traffic. All seemed to be okay but it doesn't do to ignore these things so I made a mental note to check the bike when I got home. I did so and discovered that I have broken my second Arione saddle! They both took a lot of stick from me when I rode weighing 17 stone and they lasted many years so I am not too peeved. Still, they are fairly pricey and the Planet X Arione look-alike that I have on my Basso is almost as comfortable and looks more durable, so I think I'll buy another one of them, though I might buy another Arione for my best bike. (I will be short of 2 saddles once my MTB has been brought back to life.)

Broken Arione.jpg

That was the saddle that I intended to be using on Saturday so it is a good job that it happened now. The crack doesn't go quite all the way across but the other saddle only lasted another 20 miles when it was like that and then it just snapped!

Last edited:

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Hmm, yes, I remembered while I was out on my bike earlier - sorry. :blush: Be as well as you can be, as often as you can be, for as long as you can be! :okay:

BTW - while I was out on that ride I rode over the smallest of bumps and heard a sharp cracking sound penetrating the noise of the traffic. All seemed to be okay but it doesn't do to ignore these things so I made a mental note to check the bike when I got home. I did so and discovered that I have broken my second Arione saddle! They both took a lot of stick from me when I rode weighing 17 stone and they lasted many years so I am not too peeved. Still, they are fairly pricey and the Planet X Arione look-alike that I have on my Basso is almost as comfortable and looks more durable, so I think I'll buy another one of them, though I might buy another Arione for my best bike. (I will be short of 2 saddles once my MTB has been brought back to life.)

View attachment 130469

That was the saddle that I intended to be using on Saturday so it is a good job that it happened now. The crack doesn't go quite all the way across but the other saddle only lasted another 20 miles when it was like that and then it just snapped!
You need a Brooke's in you life :whistle:

doughnut

Veteran
Yes, it is looking like we should be ok, weather-wise! I hope that you are over your cold by then
My cold has got steadily worse over the week. Right now I have a streaming nose and hacking cough and only 24 hours to go before the ride. I'm still planning on being there at the start, but I might have to bail out after 10-20 miles if my lungs just cant take it.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

You need a Brooke's in you life :whistle:
Nah ... clunky big, heavy things! Probably very comfortable but I have ridden lightweight comfortable saddles which cost less, so why bother. (Ok, I suppose that they might last forever ... :whistle:)

My cold has got steadily worse over the week. Right now I have a streaming nose and hacking cough and only 24 hours to go before the ride. I'm still planning on being there at the start, but I might have to bail out after 10-20 miles if my lungs just cant take it.
Oh no, that isn't sounding good! Perhaps the relaxed pace and relative lack of hills will save you but a 200 km ride with a bad cold sounds difficult.

I tried fixing my Edge 500's navigation problems by putting an earlier version of firmware on it. I downgraded from v3.3 to v2.6 but it still exhibits the same problem of randomly blanking the navigation screen. I have now put v2.4 on and that is supposed to work. It will reintroduce other old bugs though. I am going to do a short test ride with it today to see if it works. I'll bring it tomorrow if it does but will use my reliable old Etrex as well to be on the safe side. Now to replace that saddle ...

GuyBoden

Guru
From Tatton Park (Make it Rostherne entrance gate)
  • skudupnorth
  • GuyBoden
Sorry, I've had a health issue this week, nothing too serious, but unfortunately there's no possibility of riding my bike. It's a pity, because I was looking forward to the ride, having test ridden part 1. Hopefully, I'll be back in the saddle soon.

Enjoy the ride and the weather..........

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Sorry, I've had a health issue this week, nothing too serious, but unfortunately there's no possibility of riding my bike. It's a pity, because I was looking forward to the ride, having test ridden part 1. Hopefully, I'll be back in the saddle soon.

Enjoy the ride and the weather..........
That's a shame. Hopefully, we will do the ride again next year so watch out for that.

I don't get out to Cheshire very often but do organise a lot of rides around here on the other side of Manchester. If you fancy coming along on any of them you'd be welcome to join us.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

[Cafe closing time ]Apparently, it is 5 pm at weekends.

It does say that it may not be open if the weather is bad so I will give them a ring on the day to make sure that they will be open. I'll also look for an alternative cafe nearby just in case.

It would be a shame if they are closed as the cake choice and prices were awesome !
I just rang them. The cafe is open until 16:30 tomorrow. Venetian Marina is at the 135 km point so if we average 20 kph we would get there at 14:45.

Success! I've managed to load Colin's gpx file of Saturday's route on to my Garmin 200. So I reckon we are now well covered between us with copies of the route. Thanks all for the tips.
One thing you won't realise yet is that you may get very confused at Bickerton Hill where our route forms a figure-of-8. I'm not sure what you or the Edge 200 will make of the choice of possible lines to follow. On the screen you will just see 2 lines heading away in front of you with no indication of which to follow, and there is another similar choice shortly afterwards. We will need to take the left choice, then the right choice on the way into the loop, and then the right choice followed by the left as we return from Malpas an hour or so later. Confused ...? You WILL be! :laugh:

Riders:

From Station Rd by Wilmslow lesiure centre, 08:00
  • ColinJ
  • Littgull
  • Doughnut (as far as he can, subject to his cold-weakened body!)
  • potsy (riding as far as Tatton Park?)
  • mthyste (Subject to not having being karaoked by Mrs mythste!)
From Tatton Park (Rostherne entrance gate), approx. 08:40
  • skudupnorth
From Kelsall, where A54 crosses over our road in, very approx. 10:15
  • McWobble (subject to dicky knee)
A final reminder for those who said they are possibles ...
Anybody else fancy joining us? No problem if you only want to do part of the route but you will have to take your chances on meeting up with us if you do not set off with us (we will not hang about looking for you mid-ride!), and if you leave us part of the way round you will obviously have to find your own way back.

Top Bottom