A long weekend in New Zealand.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PK99

Legendary Member
D1 moved to Vancouver 3 years ago. D2 is there for 18 months. So, we decided to head to the other side of the world and booked a Noble Caledonia cruise around New Zealand.

Left UK on 16 Dec. Scheduled back on 6 Jan.

Got to Qeenstown via a night in Singapore and more than 24 hours flying and not a lot of sleep.

2 nights in Queenstown, then schedule was coach to Milford Sound to embark on Ship. But announced at Breakfast time that Ship had failed NZ Biosecurity checks and was a route to Dry Dock in Auckland for Hull cleaning. Instead, they proposed a 6 day coach trip then fly to Auckland to meet the freshly cleaned ship... if it was ready in time.

I'm sure you can imagine the incredulous mutiny that ensued.
Eventually offered coach option and 25% Off or immediate return to uk and 100% refund.

Thus it was that we arrived back at Heathrow at 7am on 23rd after 37 hours continuous travelling including 3 hours on the tarmac at Auckland while they repaired a tyre that punctured during taxiing to take off.

7 days away for 1 day holiday in New Zealand.

Ho. Hum.

Hope your build up to Xmas has been less traumatic.

Slick

Guru
What a nightmare, even if there is some mechanism for compensation it wouldn't make up for the disappointment for me.

It must feel good to be back home now though after all that.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Friends of ours have just got back from a month touring New Zealand.
They enjoyed it, but are in two minds whether to go again.

sheddy

Legendary Member
No need to go leave home to go on expensive foreign holidays.
Simply get a broadband subscription and watch travelogue shows from your favourite countries off the internet.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Sorry to hear this. Don't let it put you off; if you ever have the time and money to go there for a month or more it's a fantastic country that has much more to offer than Milford Sound (which I found a little underwhelming for all the hype it gets)

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Simply get a broadband subscription and watch travelogue shows from your favourite countries off the internet.

I've been watching a few cycle touring videos on the web lately. I've seen many parts of the world whilst someone else endures the pain of climbing The Rockies or Andes.

Top Bottom