A magnetic alternative to clip-ins.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jaded

So can you pull up on the pedals, or do you unclip by doing that?

dodgy

alecstilleyedye said:
mountain bike stuff, nothing to see, move away…

To be fair, there have been a great many innovations as a direct result of research and development in mountain biking equipment.

Dave.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
magnatom said:
Trust me, you don't want to take anything metallic (ferromagnetic to be precise!) close to one of these scanners!:eek:;):cry:
I remember watching an episode of House - MD where somebody had that kind of problem. I thought that they were probably exaggerating the dangers xx(!

ColinJ said:
I remember watching an episode of House - MD where somebody had that kind of problem. I thought that they were probably exaggerating the dangers ;)!

Not at all. It's called the ferromagnetic missile effect. Basically once ferromagnetic metal gets anywhere near the scanner it will shoot in, probably reaching a speed of about 50mph by the time it gets to the middle. That's why there are lots of checks etc on people and things that go into the room.

In fact a few years ago a young boy in the US was killed when someone took the wrong oxygen cylinder into room. It's an issue that we take very seriously.

wafflycat

magnatom said:
Eh? You want an MRI scanner to test the magnetic pedals and shoes?!xx(

Trust me, you don't want to take anything metallic (ferromagnetic to be precise!) close to one of these scanners!:eek:;):cry:

On a slightly different note, but also about magnetism...

Years and years ago, I went to an Alcan open day at the Smelter on the coast of NE England (Lynemouth). My Dad was an Alcan employee at the time and all the families were invited along. Smelting aluminium involves a lot of electricity & a strong magnetic field results. We were warned about the effect beforehand. Stood at the entrance door to where the smelting was going on and my earrings started to rotate. It was the freakiest feeling :tongue:

wgwrongtrousers.jpg

Have a look here for an illustration of what can happen.

Whoever did this was a complete nutter. I wouldn't be anywhere near this. If there was any gas left in that cylinder at pressure and the valve broke it would have been very, very nasty! ;)

Top Bottom