A metric century forum ride: Harrogate, Lofthouse, Masham. RAIN STOPPED PLAY [Slight change to route].

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
*** THE FORECAST IS AWFUL SO I AM POSTPONING THE RIDE. LET'S TRY AGAIN IN SEPTEMBER? ***

*** I have slightly modified the route with a shortcut to Fountains Abbey. That brings the length down to 99 km. The attached route file has been changed (I haven't bothered to change the map and profile though)***

Hi All.

***** ColinJ's forum rider tag list *****
Fellow forum riders, I am planning another ride!

@colly, @neil_merseyside, @Sea of vapours, @Domus, @Julia9054, @Spiderweb, @Slioch, @EasyPeez, @Kestevan, @Venod, @Soltydog, @NorthernDave, @Buck, @si_c, @videoman, @FrothNinja, @GuyBoden, @Vantage

If anybody wants their name to be added to the list, let me know. :smile:

(If anybody wants their name to be removed, let me know, but... :cry:)

NB Make sure that you have enabled tag alerts in your account preferences - HERE (tick 'mentions you in a message')

(Yes, I know some are already signed up for this ride, or can't make it, but I copy and paste the list from one ride to the next so I don't want to edit it.)

I'd like to repeat THIS RIDE which we did in 2018. I have shortened the route to 102 km (63 miles). (We cut even more out of the route last time because of bad weather and puncture delays and the same shortcut will be available this time if we need it on the day.) There is one really tough climb (Trapping Hill from Lofthouse); the rest are not too bad. Overall, I would describe it as 'very lumpy' rather than 'hilly', but that depends on what you are used to... Lumpy for Yorkshire, 'mountainous' for London - around 1,400 m (4,600 ft) of ascent! :laugh:

Map of the route (to be ridden in clockwise direction):
Harrogate Lofthouse Masham Harrogate 2023 map.png

Elevation profile of the route:
Harrogate Lofthouse Masham Harrogate 2023 profile.png

A GPX file for the route is attached below.

There will be a cafe stop in Masham at around 2/3 distance (marked in the profile by the red spot), after most of the climbing. It gives us a nice leisurely return leg.

The route out of/back into Harrogate is mainly on a good cycle path.

The preferred date is Saturday, 15th July but I'll keep the 22nd July in reserve in case of storms or rail strikes on the earlier date. More details nearer the time, but meantime pencil it in on your calendar if you are interested.

GPX viewer

Attachments

• Harrogate_Lofthouse_2023_99_km.gpx
    169.6 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

GuyBoden

Guru
It looks a bit steep for my fitness level at the moment, but if you're doing a flat Cheshire 100K ride, that would be ideal.

I'm recovering from my accident, but slowly.

1.gif

Mike_P

Guru
Local to me but there's no way Shanks's Pony would not be called into use at least once. Wondering if anyone (@GuyBoden for example) would prefer an optional less steep route from Ripley to Thirn. One thing to note looking at the previous comments the car park at Ripley is now pay and display - blame the Ripley Estate not the local council. Still free on street parking alongside if you are lucky.

GuyBoden

Guru
I have been waiting for the go ahead from you! If you will be ready (and free), how about 24th June or 1st July?

@ColinJ a Cheshire Ride on the 24th June or 1st July would be great, weather permitting. Many thanks.
1.gif

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Cheshire I could do! I'm hoping to get a new rear wheel soon direct from decathlon which I'm hoping will cope with the motor. Either that or I'll have to lower the bikes power :cry:
Don't count your chickens yet though coz so far the last bunch of rides have been buggered for me in one way or another.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
@ColinJ a Cheshire Ride on the 24th June or 1st July would be great, weather permitting. Many thanks.
Super! When I am back on my laptop later I will start the thread.

I just have to decide between riding to Dunham from Walkden station and doing the old route OR extra trains and ride from Knutsford.

Cheshire I could do! I'm hoping to get a new rear wheel soon direct from decathlon which I'm hoping will cope with the motor. Either that or I'll have to lower the bikes power :cry:
Don't count your chickens yet though coz so far the last bunch of rides have been buggered for me in one way or another.
Fingers crossed!

Mike_P

Guru
This is the gentler Ripley-Thirn route @ 57.5km (5.4km further) with around 1900ft less of elevation.

ripley-thirn easy.jpg

Ripleythirneasy-elevation.jpg

Last edited:
Ummmm...... leaving aside that that suggested route is in the wrong direction .... it looks like the route to take if you are in Thirn and merely wish to get to Ripley, as distinct from wanting to go for a nice bike ride in the nicest countryside between the two end points.

Top Bottom