A metric century forum ride: Harrogate, Lofthouse, Masham. RAIN STOPPED PLAY [Slight change to route].

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I thought that I might have to postpone the ride because the National Rail planner is indicating (non bike carrying) rail replacement buses on the 15th, but further investigation shows that is just between Todmorden and Hebden Bridge so if I cycle to HB I should be able to catch the train from there. It'd mean an extra 15 km for the day, but that would be okay.

I'm busy tomorrow, but will come back to this thread on Saturday...

Last edited:
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Sorry for the delay...

I'm watching the weather forecasts for Saturday and am currently not impressed - wet and windy all day!

I don't mind the odd shower but I don't like the idea of getting wet riding to catch my train, being wet on the journey over, wet all day, then wet on the way back too!

I have 2 other dates before September which the ride could be postponed to (subject to the trains running) if rain stops play on Saturday - 29th July*** and 12th August. Let's keep an eye on developments and see if conditions improve.

*** RMT strike action that day, so that might be out too

Last edited:

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
Whatever the majority decides, I'm easy either way.

Potential upside of not doing it on the 15th would be that I (probably) wouldn't have to revert to a spare bike (main requires some work).

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Hmm, my friend Carrie has just been in touch to say that she is all set to join us on Saturday!

Let's say - no worse than sunny spells, damp and windy forecast, go ahead; thunderstorms and torrential rain, postpone?

If we go ahead then I should get to Harrogate station on the train arriving at 09:03. If there were a problem, the next train is due in from Leeds at 09:33. Let's say meet at 09:15 at the back of the station (east side) next to Victoria car park, accessed from East Parade.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I have just ordered a pair of these lightweight overshoes to wear on Saturday in case things get soggy! The yellow colour is a bit bright, but the black ones cost £7 more, so I'll put up with it. Anyway - it's a safety feature!!!

Assuming the ride goes ahead, will this be the rider list...?
Anybody else up to tackling 100 km with one whacking big hill sign up below!

Last edited:

Jameshow

Veteran
I have just ordered a pair of these lightweight overshoes to wear on Saturday in case things get soggy! The yellow colour is a bit bright, but the black ones cost £7 more, so I'll put up with it. Anyway - it's a safety feature!!!

Assuming the ride goes ahead, will this be the rider list...?
Anybody else up to tackling 100 km with one whacking big hill sign up below!

Sorry cannot do it as have work 20th anniversary picnic in the park!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Forecast improved significantly since two days ago. We won't know until the day by the looks of it.
Yes, I thought that things were starting to look better.

The BBC forecast still suggests that there might be thunderstorms after 18:00 but we ought to be finished by then.

As for my overshoes...

The front parts will probably get chewed up by the knobbles on the soles if I walk about in them too much. If they last me at last a year, that wouldn't be too bad.
I will stick a couple of layers of sacrificial duct tape on there to offer at least some protection.

I have had problems wearing through other overshoes in that position, so it is a real problem, but they usually last several seasons even without protection.

Attachments

• Front underside of overshoes.jpg
    Front underside of overshoes.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 4
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Really sorry, Colin - I forgot all about this. Unfortunately we won't be able to join in as we have family staying
That's a pity (that you can't make it, not that you are seeing your family!) but it can't be helped. I had to rearrange my next visits to Devon and the Midlands to fit in with my family's needs.

Carrie was disappointed when I said that I might change the date because she has arranged dog-sitting for this weekend and can't make other dates so I told her that we would go ahead as planned unless the weather forecast looked awful, which it is looking like it won't be. The risk of thunderstorms seems to be receding and alternating drizzle/sunny spells instead.

If you are free the following Saturday, take a look at the Scammonden thread. I also hope to be doing the Humber Bridge ride again in early August but we'll have to see about that.

Just @neil_merseyside to hear from now then... :whistle:

Top Bottom