A metric century forum ride: Harrogate, Lofthouse, Masham. RAIN STOPPED PLAY [Slight change to route].

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike_P

Guru
IMG_20230714_200516.jpg

There appears to be a 20-35mph wind blowing almost directly up Trapping Hill all day, which could reasonably be argued to be 'ideal conditons', were it not for the possibility of thundery downpours. Good luck with it :-)

Here in Darlington the forecast for tomorrow is OK-ish (as in thin coat) and to be fair Harrogate isn't THAT bad, however Lofthouse is still flash and bang! Good luck - you do know salt dissolves in water don't you 😂 Respect. I might try the ride when flotation devices aren't needed...

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I've heard (and read) too many stories about lightning strikes to risk it...
  • That man hit by lightning near my sister's local shops (who survived with 'just' burns)
  • A teenager killed by tree shrapnel in my dad's home town of Kenilworth when sheltering under a tree which exploded when hit by lightning
  • Cows killed in a field in front of my father. Also in Kenilworth.
  • I almost got caught out once on the climb from Oxenhope towards Hebden Bridge but spotted conditions rapidly worsening and diverted to Oxenhope station to take shelter. 10 minutes later I could see bolt after bolt hitting the hillside where I would have been! After the storm blew over I headed back up the hill. So much rain had fallen in such a short period of time that an underground stream had burst its way through the road and was spraying a jet of water up into the air!
  • While at the station, I got chatting to a local. He told me about a woman in the village years before having been blown over her garden wall by a lightning strike! :eek:

I'll stick to wimp mode... :laugh:

Mike_P

Guru
Remember having to visit the grounds of a property in one of the Nidderdale villages. Got there and it was torrential such that I could not see more than few feet in front.

Julia9054

Guru
Last Saturday the clock in Knaresborough market square was struck by lightning. I wasn't around but everyone was talking about it the day after (nothing much happens in TinyTown!)
The bang was immense - everyone ducked for cover and the hands started going round . . .
They finally settled exactly 3 hours ahead
Back to the Future vibes!

received_594698742831042.jpeg

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Typical! :laugh:

Mind you, you are a couple of hours ahead of when we had planned to be up there.

The forecasts now include hailstorms! :eek:

I hope that you manage to keep dodging the bad weather.

My plan to enjoy a long lie-in have been thwarted... I watched a film until 03:00 then did crosswords until 04:00. I set my alarm for 11:45 and dozed off at 04:15, but my phone rang at 08:15 - a friend wanted a chat while I was on my way over to Harrogate! :wacko:

I need to get another couple of hours sleep before playing dodge-the-Calderdale-storm.

Mike_P

Guru
Definitely was pouring down in Harrogate at 9.15 and puddles quickly forming on the roads, akin to the day of the 2019 UCI U23 time trials
IMG_20230715_093910.jpg

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Done. Didn't get rained on for a second but after 40k all the roads were wet. I must have been chasing the storm.

Dry, tired, but very happy ^_^
That early start obviously paid off - well done! WAY quicker than I would have been too...

Very lucky I think weather wise. Been a couple of torrential downpours and another predicted in the next hour
The weather over here has been as forecast - some torrential downpours, windy, some sunny intervals, and sporadic thunderstorms in the locality. I might do a 30 minute ride the long way round to the shops, if I can find a likely one hour break in the rain; otherwise I am glad to be indoors today.

Let's have another go at this in September. I have my shorter Scammonden ride next weekend (all welcome!) and might do the Humber Bridge ride the following weekend.

Top Bottom