1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A narrow escape this morning...or just good riding!

Discussion in 'Commuting and Utility Cycling' started by runner, 11 Jan 2017.

1. runner

runner Veteran

So there i am belting my way into Bristol City Centre this morning an a fast 9 miler and just as I am approaching the underpass near the end of the cycle track I see in the distance a rider approaching from the opposite end. Being a courteous rider :smile: I pull on the brake...back brake...big mistake..bike skids to left..I correct...skids to the right...I correct...skids to the left again..I correct...and finally skids right again..I correct!! The bike now on a straight line I'm upright and actually have a smile on my face...good technical control aka Peter Sagan....or just luck...you decide :smile::smile:

Arjimlad and mjr like this.
  2. ianrauk

ianrauk Tattooed Beat Messiah

Total luck on your part :okay:

3. mjr

mjr Wanting to Keep My EU Citizenship

Mix of the two?

4. Jody

Jody Über Member

I'm with @ianrauk with total luck but with a little bit of skill thrown in. If you ended up fishtailing the bike then you didn't correct but over corrected.

5. Bimble

Bimble Bimbling along ... Staff Member

Lucky! If it had been a hard pull on the front brake you'd have been stuffed. :cycle:

There's always a nice sense of self-satisfaction though when you have some sort of "wobble" and manage, by luck or the gods, to stay on the bike and keep upright as you come to a stop. :biggrin:

Was the other cyclist impressed with your handling skills? ;)

dave r, Scoosh and BrumJim like this.
  6. MiK1138

MiK1138 Über Member

Skills

7. mustang1

mustang1 Über Member

Total skill.

8. ColinJ

ColinJ Climbs Hills Slowly!

Skill in staying upright.

Lack of skill in failing to notice that you were riding too fast for the slippery conditions! :okay:

9. I like Skol

I like Skol Hold my beer and watch this..........

This. Shite riding for getting into that situation in such a simple, predictable scenario.

Salty seadog likes this.
  10. Drago

Drago Guru

Can't believe it, trying to take the credit for something that's clearly down to the bike ;)

Last edited: 11 Jan 2017
    Moodyman, runner and mjr like this.
  11. mjr

I think you're missing word. ;)

Drago likes this.
  12. subaqua

subaqua Guru

No mine has no access or publisher

deptfordmarmoset likes this.
  13. RoubaixCube

RoubaixCube ~Tribanese~

Should of done a wheelie and doffed your helmet in greeting and been like "wahey!!" Now that would of been an extremely classy save

14. mjr

You don't want to know how many times I had to reread that before I got it - I stopped buying Microsoft shoot over two decades ago now :laugh:

15. ChrisEyles

ChrisEyles Über Member

Blimey, sounds like a lucky escape to me! Glad you got away with it :smile: