A near miss today ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wester

Guru
On my commute home this evening I stopped at a pedestrian crossing to let a couple of people cross the road a motor bike pulled up alongside me and we both moved off at the same time the motor bike on the outside and me on the inside alongside the pavement

After about 50 metres and when the MB was about 5 metres ahead of me he turned left into a side street across my path without giving a signal that he was going to do so I just managed to brake in time I only missed him by inches

I guess he was at fault

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Yes.

Reactions: mjr

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
On my commute home this evening I stopped at a pedestrian crossing to let a couple of people cross the road a motor bike pulled up alongside me and we both moved off at the same time the motor bike on the outside and me on the inside alongside the pavement

After about 50 metres and when the MB was about 5 metres ahead of me he turned left into a side street across my path without giving a signal that he was going to do so I just managed to brake in time I only missed him by inches

I guess he was at fault
The problem I think is that drivers often underestimate how fast bikes are travelling.

OP
OP
Wester

Wester

Guru
You kept pace with a motorbike for nearly 50m? Well done.

That was what the cause of the near miss was he was not travelling very fast as he was about to make a turn if he was travelling faster he would have had to slow down to make the turn I would have seen him slow down and would have known he was about to make a turn

thecube

Clearly his fault, you were at the junction first and had every right to cycle at whatever speed you want. It was his missjudgement and shows a lack of anticipation. However, these types of incidents occur frequently so we have to watch out for them. Cars often whizz by me only to slow almost immediately and then turn causing me to have to brake.

Drago

Legendary Member
No one is suggesting it was anything other than the motorcyclists fault, or that cyclists can't thrap along at what ever pace they like.

What I was suggesting is such incidents are often forseeable, and hence avoidable. Which you prefer comes down to which is more appealing - being in the right, or being alive. Quite often in the big bad World its not possible to have both. Sad, but that's the reality.

I'm presuming the OP favours being alive, seeing as how he describes ramming his brakes on, and I uttered a few words to assist him in the quest.

Last edited:

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
Definitely his fault although it's always worth seeing if you could have improved anything as well, being right is little consolation when you're in A&E. Perhaps the obvious if he was moving slowly (which around here means not accelerating like a lunatic from standstill) would be to take primary/a very strong secondary so you are more likely to be spotted in mirrors or when he does his life saver check. It sounds like you were already covering your brakes to stop quickly.

However, you can't by definition prevent every left hook especially if you are cracking along because drivers seem to expect all cyclists to be travelling about 8mph and base their driving on that assumption.

OP
OP
Wester

Wester

Guru
Definitely his fault although it's always worth seeing if you could have improved anything as well, being right is little consolation when you're in A&E. Perhaps the obvious if he was moving slowly (which around here means not accelerating like a lunatic from standstill) would be to take primary/a very strong secondary so you are more likely to be spotted in mirrors or when he does his life saver check. It sounds like you were already covering your brakes to stop quickly.

However, you can't by definition prevent every left hook especially if you are cracking along because drivers seem to expect all cyclists to be travelling about 8mph and base their driving on that assumption.

I always and I repeat always keep both hands on the brake levers at all times

I always and I repeat always keep both hands on the brake levers at all times
Do you? I don't. I can't hit the brakes in a fraction of a second but I prefer to have to hands on the bars for total control. I cover the brakes at junctions or if something doesn't seem right.

jaynana

hello all, back here after a while..

I've had a few close calls so much so that I thought I must buy a camera.

and here's from today, just the second ride with the camera on!

was I wrong? should I have anticipated better - certainly didn't see them till almost too late:ohmy:

View: https://youtu.be/wC9zQVdvOik

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
No one is suggesting it was anything other than the motorcyclists fault, or that cyclists can't thrap along at what ever pace they like.

What I was suggesting is such incidents are often forseeable, and hence avoidable. Which you prefer comes down to which is more appealing - being in the right, or being alive. Quite often in the big bad World its not possible to have both. Sad, but that's the reality.

I'm presuming the OP favours being alive, seeing as how he describes ramming his brakes on, and I uttered a few words to assist him in the quest.
We can always go into the "It was my right of way arguement"

Milkfloat

An Peanut
was I wrong? should I have anticipated better - certainly didn't see them till almost too late:ohmy:

Again, legally not your fault. My spider senses would have tingled when I saw that the car in front and to your right held back and did not continue with the queue of traffic. I am pretty sure I would have braked before you and if needs be performed an emergency turn to the left.

Top Bottom