A new beginning for a big fella!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Hunterforce

Hunterforce

You don't mention your weight, (and I'm not prying), but have a look a THIS blog.

The author is one of our own, (@gb155 ), but he's not on here much these days, although he is still cycling :thumbsup:

FYI - I'm a bigger guy, always have been and probably always will be, but in the past I've been pushing 20 stone, yet I used to ride carbon framed bikes with 20/24 spoke wheels without any issue, well I broke one rear spoke after 2 years, so I regard that as without issue ^_^

As for confidence, it will come. When I first rode a modern rode bike after years of MTBing I nearly $hat my pants :blush: I used to have to slow right down just to reach down for a bottle, but the more you ride the more natural it will become.

So well done, now go for a ride ^_^

PS: Cannondale make great bikes :becool:
Cheers mate, im 24St right now, but i have pledged i wont do much on this till i drop more weight, its a great incentive to have this sitting in my front room and not riding it much lol

the 105 mate is so silky smooth i love it, and yeah wheels will be an upgrade in time i feel, but i need to get some SPD's, this will be my first upgrade, but i need to get a little more brave first lol
105 offers the best VFM as far as groupsets go IMO.

As for clipless pedals just bite the bullet ;)

It's not as bad as people make out, and chances are you won't look back and you'll wish you'd done it sooner.

Check THIS page of FAQ's out, it might help :thumbsup:

ScotiaLass

Guru
Cheers mate, im 24St right now, but i have pledged i wont do much on this till i drop more weight, its a great incentive to have this sitting in my front room and not riding it much lol
I found swimming good when I started exercising, and as the local pool had a ladies only night, I felt less embarrassed going.
At least I didn't get harpooned :laugh:
I've dropped from a size 22/24 to currently a 16/18.
Keep at it!

ScotiaLass

Guru
Thats half the issue with me, it's the embarrassment of it lol silly i know, but it just iis, so sick of it now hence the decision to do something about it all, thank you all for your kind comments
You'll be fine. And do what I did when out, overweight and struggling.....if you see someone staring etc, just think to yourself 'I am out doing this and I will lose weight and get fitter!'
Soon you'll be the fit one!

Thats half the issue with me, it's the embarrassment of it lol silly i know, but it just iis, so sick of it now hence the decision to do something about it all, thank you all for your kind comments
You need to find something that works for you, but be prepared to adjust as well.

I changed my diet at the start of the year and lost 2.5 stone in around 5 months, but then I hit a wall, (not literally), and I've found about a stone of what I lost :sad:

So I'm currently back to bad habits and making promises to myself I can't keep, but remember, whatever happens today you get another chance to do it or do it differently tomorrow.

Bit cliché but...............

whether-you-think-you-can-or-think-you-cant-youre-right.jpg

OP
OP
Hunterforce

Hunterforce

You need to find something that works for you, but be prepared to adjust as well.

I changed my diet at the start of the year and lost 2.5 stone in around 5 months, but then I hit a wall, (not literally), and I've found about a stone of what I lost :sad:

So I'm currently back to bad habits and making promises to myself I can't keep, but remember, whatever happens today you get another chance to do it or do it differently tomorrow.

Bit cliché but...............

View attachment 51071
How very true mate, i beat myself up all the time over silly things like this!! thank you :smile:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Enjoy cycling first. Weight will follow. No silly diets.

I do a naturist ride in York, and believe me there are people of all sizes, it doesn't bother them and they are naked, so size shouldn't be an issue, as has been said you are doing something to get fitter, people bigger than me are fitter than me and some less so are not so fit, it is fitness at the end of the day that is important, by the way I am 6ft and about 78Kg's (12st3lb I think) dont really take much notice.
Regarding the 105 kit I had a choice Tiagra or 105 difference of about £30 for shifters FD chain and cassette and after much diliberation (as I have very little money) I went for it, and whilst I can't say I am any faster yet I did set 28p.b's on strava on Sunday and find my riding much smoother being in the right gear is so much easier, I upgraded from some old 9sp sora thumb shifter as the right shifter failed on me, as for spd's again a great move they are just so natural, I have some A520's that don't look too bad on the bike better than the A530 I had, all I have to do now is get a decent frame, next year maybe.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Keep at it and you'll get there. Don't worry about anyone overtaking you, just go at your own pace and aim for gradual, drip by drip improvement. When I first started, every time I came across anything you could count as a hill, I just told myself i was setting a veterans' super-heavyweight record by getting up it in whatever time I could manage. 6 years on, and I'm now doing audaxes and 100km charity rides....... Even did my first Alp last year. Bit by bit is the key. Good luck to you. Enjoy.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I've always found the Cannondales to be solid, well made bikes, overbuilt if anything.
Good luck, and enjoy the ride. If you watch what you eat, and get involved in rides and such,
as well as a little training now and then, you'll be just fine, and have a good time doing so.

nappadang

Über Member
WOW thats awesome, in total i want to loose about 6 Stone it's gonna be hard, but the health benefits far outweigh the hard work!!
I've knocked 4 stone off and feel much better for it. My friends will testify, that if a (ex) beer swilling, lazy sod like me can do it, anyone can.
I still swill the occasional gallon of ale but have gradually changed my diet and my outlook towards fitness (I even go out running now) :eek: If you pm me an email address I'll send you a break down of the diet and routine I use.
Whatever you decide, good luck and stick with it, you will definitely not regret it

Top Bottom