A new pet hate

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Jacomus-rides-Gen said:
Probably my biggest annoyance at RAB's isn't so much the lack of indication, its the total lack of comoprehension that a bicycle might be taking it just as fast as a car, EXCEPT WE CAN'T BRAKE AND CORNER AT THE SAME TIME. MUPPETS.

Then maybe the riding style needs to be changed? I can't brake and corner on my motorbike either; I can't fully brake and corner at the same time in my car either a(lthough I tend not to topple over when I stop).

What can one learn from a vehicle approaching from the right with it's left indicator flashing? THAT IT'S INDICATOR IS FLASHING - NOTHING ELSE!

I mean that cars seem to assume that there is no way that a bicycle can go round a RAB as fast as a car can, and so just pull out when the cyclist is banked over in the turn.

I have only found this on literally one or maybe two occasions on my motorbike, yet it happens fairly frequently when cycling. If not fully pulling onto the RAB, cagers often make to pull out, then they brake at the last minute and end up with their wheels over the line as they suddenly realise that I'm not doing 8mph.

Cab

Jacomus-rides-Gen said:
I mean that cars seem to assume that there is no way that a bicycle can go round a RAB as fast as a car can, and so just pull out when the cyclist is banked over in the turn.

I have only found this on literally one or maybe two occasions on my motorbike, yet it happens fairly frequently when cycling. If not fully pulling onto the RAB, cagers often make to pull out, then they brake at the last minute and end up with their wheels over the line as they suddenly realise that I'm not doing 8mph.

Yep, happens a lot. An excellent reason to be assertive at a roundabout, I've no doubt a lot of pavement huggers come off badly because of that kind of thing.

I don't think the problem is anything to do with my road positioning, I think it is to do with cagers not engaging their brains. They see a cyclist and instead of observing for long enough to work out the approach speed, they assume the cyclist cannot be moving very fast.

When they see me on my motorbike, or another car, their brain tells them that these vehicles will be coming at some speed, and they spend more time working out just how fast the bike/car/whatever is coming.

Cab

Jacomus-rides-Gen said:
I don't think the problem is anything to do with my road positioning, I think it is to do with cagers not engaging their brains. They see a cyclist and instead of observing for long enough to work out the approach speed, they assume the cyclist cannot be moving very fast.

I agree, thats probably the problem. Your road positioning on a rounabout merely gives you more or less space to respond when the motorist makes a mistake.

When they see me on my motorbike, or another car, their brain tells them that these vehicles will be coming at some speed, and they spend more time working out just how fast the bike/car/whatever is coming.

Again, I agree. Ever had someone yell at you that you were cycling too fast when you've screeched to a sudden halt by the door of the car that they've pulled out in front of you in?

Cab said:
... Ever had someone yell at you that you were cycling too fast when you've screeched to a sudden halt by the door of the car that they've pulled out in front of you in?

That isn't restricted to yelling at cyclists; I've been accused of cycling too fast, motorbiking too fast and driving too fast. I've even been accused of suddenly appearing from 'behind the sun'.

It is becoming an automatic self protection response - bit like the old adage to get your retaliation in first. I thing the thought process is "if I accuse you first then it deflects interest away from me and I may eventually get away with my supidity".

Has anybody else noticed this trend?

ISIDSYM is shared by cyclist and motorcyclist alike and, I believe, for similar reasons - they are both small and they both perform outside of the average understanding, and they both like to gain benefits from their manouverability.

Does anybody have any non confrontational comments? Agreement isn't a prerequisite.

if people used their indicators properly, there wouldn't be a need for a 'straight-on' indicator. a left indicator means you're turning left, a right indicator means you're turning right, no indicator means you're not turning.

what pisses me off are those people who are approaching a roundabout with no indicator, turn right and then use their left indicator as they exit the roundabout. wtf is that all about? twunts.

ratty2k

Err, but you cant turn right off a roundabout, I thought you were only supposed to indicate for the junction you want to take?

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
ratty2k said:
Err, but you cant turn right off a roundabout, I thought you were only supposed to indicate for the junction you want to take?

???

yes you can, if you want to take the 3rd exit or beyond, you indicate right till the exit immediately before. Then you indicate left

you knew what he meant, just being pedantic.....

trustysteed said:
if people used their indicators properly, there wouldn't be a need for a 'straight-on' indicator. a left indicator means you're turning left, a right indicator means you're turning right, no indicator means you're not turning.

what pisses me off are those people who are approaching a roundabout with no indicator, turn right and then use their left indicator as they exit the roundabout. wtf is that all about? twunts.

Totally agree.

John Ponting said:
That isn't restricted to yelling at cyclists; I've been accused of cycling too fast, motorbiking too fast and driving too fast. I've even been accused of suddenly appearing from 'behind the sun'. <snip>

</snip>

ISIDSYM is shared by cyclist and motorcyclist alike and, I believe, for similar reasons - they are both small and they both perform outside of the average understanding, and they both like to gain benefits from their manouverability.

Does anybody have any non confrontational comments? Agreement isn't a prerequisite.

Haha, it took me a while to link ISIDSYM with SMIDSY :biggrin::ohmy:

I particularly like the way that you have expressed "they are both small and they both perform outside of the average understanding" I think that phrase sums up exactly why most drivers don't know why motorbikes / cycles do things that they do.

Lots of non-bikers think that leaning deep into corners is dangerous, as if the bike will suddenly fall over. There is also a lot of misunderstanding of a bikes road position, as if we must stick ridgidly to the centre (or left, if we are talking cycles) of the lane, and to be anywhere else is reckless, dangerous or rude.

Most people who do not understand what the bike is doing behave totally normally, and deal with the situation without drama. Some minority of drivers literally attack what they don't understand, and use their vehicles as weapons to intimidate and muscle their way around.

Top Bottom